C-1 Creek Boats, time for a new one, what to get?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bmille
c

C-1 Creek Boats, time for a new one, what to get?

Post by Bmille »

6’1, 195, paddle Green, Smokies, Linville..Anything that is running.
Broke my Magnum 80 this weekend and need a new creeker. Lot’s of good older threads on C-1 Creek Boats but nothing recent. So I wanted advice from other C-1 boaters on what is working out there in the creek boat world. Please no speculation as I have done enough of that on the web but would like real world reviews.

Had a Jefe years ago and never really cared for it…found it not very stable and tippy on steep creeks. Have had the Magnum and loved it for its flat hull, nice edges, boof ability and speed. However it is a bit trippy on hairy ferries…like catching the eddy above Sunshine on river left and others on pushy water…Big East Fork.

So I am looking at a Large Karma for its width 28 inches, high parting line that helps increase stability and overall general predictability. Saw a post from Bernie who knows what he is talking about and he said you have to heal the Karma over to get it to turn into eddies…this is clearly not ideal….eddy above Sunshine the boat must be flat. It was also stated the Karma was challenged running different types of slot moves. Bottom line any one creeking in a C-1 Karma that can comment on its performance. For now I think it is my leading contender.

Flying Squirrel looks good at 26.5 inches wide might not be as stable as Karma but looks like a higher performance boat. It was tested on the Green and that matters to me as the Green is home however never loving the Jefe I don’t want to recreate the tippy unstable platform. I have read where the Squirrel is more stable than the Stomper however at first glance it just does not look like a C-1…hope I am wrong as it is one of my top options.

Never paddled a Pyranha Creekboat so advice there would be valuable as well.

Thanks for your input.
GSG
Pain Boater

Re: C-1 Creek Boats, time for a new one, what to get?

Post by GSG »

I've only paddled a few modern creek boats so my advice is limited but I replaced my Remix with a Bliss Stick Mystic and have been very happy. Good primary and secondary stability, good edge without being too grabby and just seems to be shaped the right way to make for a comfortable conversion.

My only criticism with the boat is that it's a bit slow. Haven't actually found it to be a real problem though.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

I'm a similar weight to you. Paddle a Stomper and absolutely love it. I don't have much to compare it to though.

Here's some footage of me paddling it. https://vimeo.com/116221769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you have an aggressive style (paddle not float) the Finkenmeister is worthy of consideration.

If you are willing to consider composite check out the River Elf Storm Chaser - I'd imagine a beefy layup might just do the trick.
Keep the C!
Adam
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Some helpful links (for specs etc.)
http://www.riotkayaks.com/whitewater-kayaks/magnum-80/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flying Squirrel and Stomper
https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRFS8515.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/liqu ... fe-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/white ... 013-karma/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Jason Serres is paddling a Flying Squirrel - he's in your neck of the woods. I think he's happy with it. I can't recall his CBoats handle at the moment, but he's on FB with his real name.
Bmille
c

Post by Bmille »

Hey thanks, was able to get w/ Jason and paddle his Squirrel on the NFFB @ 3 inches. Boat accelerated nicely and maintained speed. Caught eddies well and felt snappy. Secondary stability is excellent. Primary felt tippy and from the cockpit forward the boat felt narrow. It boofed great, was really easy to hit rock 360's with and surfed well. All in all a fun boat. On harder whitewater the primary stability might be an issue but for what the primary lacks the secondary makes up for. Styles vary, but I like excellent primary stability where when you sit in the boat and it feels stable sitting flat. Others hop in a boat and instantly lean her to the side and prefer excellent secondary stability and like paddling the boat from edge to edge. If the latter is your style the Squirrel is worth having a look at and when driven from edge to edge is like a sports car creeker. Having had a chance to paddle both a Stinger and a Squirrel this month I have to say both boats are very fun, worth trying and will produce countless smiles.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

Owned a l karma for 5 months. Wasn't sharp enough for me. Some guys are paddling recon 93's and like them.
Bernie paddles a med karma and likes it ., he's a claas
A paddler to boot.
It's just me but I have yet to see a k1 - C1 conversion
Work for paddlers over 195 lbs. ; kayaks aren't C-1s imho.
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

This is my 2nd year using the med karma as a c1. Have gone back and forth with how I feel about it. Was coming from using a Spanish Fly. I think I just needed to get used to a boat with less edges. It has great initial and secondary stability in my opinion. Great speed compared to my SF. Makes the flats less annoying. I don't find that you have to lean all that much to edge into eddies. Boofs well. No major complaints.
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Here's a short clip I made from last weekend using the Karma. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P89E12lyNg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Almost got flipped on the second drop in the middle of the rapid. Was trying to avoid going far left. Think that softer edge might have helped me out on that one.
Bmille
c

Post by Bmille »

Thanks for all the feedback. Heard from several folks that like the Karma however have heard mixed reviews from folks on the river. No one ever states man I love this boat...it is always a mixed bag and several folks have mentioned wanting their previous boats back...karma a little to floaty and is quickly pushed off line. Never paddled one but this is a consistent response.

Leaning towards replacing my Magnum with the Stomper. Any more specific feedback on Stomper C-1 would be appreciated. Realize the Squirrel is the hot new boat but feel that a Stomper planning hull, 5 pro types later with a softer edge and tested all over the south east and beyond might be the best c-1 creeker that LL has to offer. Hoping to get in one over the next few weeks and will post the experience.
Would love any real world feedback on the Stomper.

Thanks,
Brian
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

lung wrote:This is my 2nd year using the med karma as a c1. Have gone back and forth with how I feel about it. Was coming from using a Spanish Fly. I think I just needed to get used to a boat with less edges. It has great initial and secondary stability in my opinion. Great speed compared to my SF. Makes the flats less annoying. I don't find that you have to lean all that much to edge into eddies. Boofs well. No major complaints.

How hard is it to roll the Karma?
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

No complaints with how it rolls. Different feel than other boats I've used, but it works.
pritch1
c

Post by pritch1 »

Anyone tried a tuna yet? Im keen to convert one but at 85kg not sure if im a touch heavy
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

ZET factory conversion

ZET Kayaks Canada - facebook
Website and more info to come.
Demo Director C1 available in Kootenays BC

ZET USA in Idaho
ZET Kayaks USA - facebook
http://www.zetkayak.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZET UK
http://www.zet-kayaks.co.uk/c1-creekboat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by YTcanoe on Mon May 04, 2015 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.