Esquif Zephyr for Big Guy?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JoeH
c

Esquif Zephyr for Big Guy?

Post by JoeH »

Hey, Folks - I've been searching on this topic for a few days, and I can't find much definitive, so I wanted to turn to the experts.

I'm a fat paddler with moderate skills but I'm looking to get better. I have a beat up Dagger Genesis at the moment, but I've been keeping an eye out for something more modern like an Esquif Nitro. A Zephyr just popped up locally, though, and it's a great deal... I'm wondering if that boat will perform for a 250-260lb paddler.

I think Esquif says the max is about 220lb, but it seems like they underrate their boats a bit in this department, as my brother is about 240 and he has great results in a detonator even in big water. The detonator is rated by Esquif at 200lb max. That said, I don't want to end up with a pig that won't accelerate or carve with my fat butt in it. What do you guys think? Any big guys paddling Zephyrs around?

As a secondary question, I haven't seen much new on the durability of these boats. I know many tend to crack on the rear part of the hull - is this something that only happens on bony rivers or with big drops, or is this turning out to be inevitable? Now that Esquif is defunct ( :cry: ), what's the outlook for making outfitting changes or doing repairs on twintex?

Thanks for the help, all -- always enjoy this community.
Peter K.
C Boater

Re: Esquif Zephyr for Big Guy?

Post by Peter K. »

Can't help you with the weight issue -- I'm about 160.

However, as a long time Zephyr owner I have experience with durability. The Twintex is subject to cracks if subjected to a hard blow like impact with a rock. It's not particularly delicate, but eventually every Zephyr I have seen that is paddled on smaller rivers (including mine) has been cracked. Field repair can be done with duct tape, but permanent repair is problematic. Mine went to the factory to have two patches fused into the hull in the mold. As there is no factory anymore, this option is no longer available. My boat since wore out along the chines and developed five cracks there. I have repaired them with fibreglass patches applied with 3M Scotchweld Acrylic Structural Plastic Adhesive DP-8010. This is the only glue that I know that will adhere to Twintex. It seems to hold ok, but I haven't run anything yet that will cause the hull to flex a lot. The glue drys sort of rubbery, so I'm not sure it would repair a major hole. It also requires a special applicator as it is a two-part glue. These cost about $50, but I was able to borrow one (3M EPX Plus II Applicator with 10:1 nozzle).

Hope this helps. I'm not looking for another Zephyr to replace my boat. Looking at either one of the remaining Ocoees or a composite boat.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

JoeH wrote:...Dagger Genesis at the moment... A Zephyr just popped up ... a 250-260lb paddler..."

The Zephyr is a couple of feet shorter than your Genesis, with sharper chines, and your mass will be putting those edges deep in the water, to be acted upon by cross currents and rocks. Don't confuse me with an expert, but I would say you should most definitely paddle that Zephyr before you even consider buying it. I'm 175lb and used to own a Zephyr. I wouldn't want to paddle one if I was 250+.
...durability ...many tend to crack on the rear part of the hull - is this something that only happens on bony rivers or with big drops, or is this turning out to be inevitable? Now that Esquif is defunct ( :cry: ), what's the outlook for making outfitting changes or doing repairs on twintex?
I bought the Zephyr used, and never had a problem with it. It was well used, and I did knock it around some, but it did not have any cracks -- even though its serial number was within the date range of the ones that were reportedly more prone to cracking. It was quite a bit over the specified weight, and I always wondered if I got one that had some extra material or reinforcement(?). Whatever the reason, it was a good hull.

I didn't have to make any significant changes to the outfitting. There is a discussion on Cboats where someone had good luck using Goop for attaching outfitting to a Zephyr.
JoeH
c

Post by JoeH »

Thanks for all the feedback, folks - this has been really helpful so far.

I'm pretty concerned about repair-ability, and still on the fence regarding my weight. The point about having aggressive chines buried deep in the water is a good one and something I was fairly concerned about - maybe the best course of action is to see if the seller will let me jump in the boat and try it out for a few minutes.

Regarding the Genesis - I'm not crazy about it. It's pretty slow for one thing, and I'd like something that will carve more aggressively. I was hoping the Zephyr would fit the bill, but maybe I need to wait on a Nitro.

Still interested in hearing any feedback from a larger paddler who's taken a Zephyr for a spin.

Thanks again, everyone.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm a mere 225-230# and my Zephyr floats me fine. I know a guy who was 250-260 paddling an Ocoee and he was fine - not the same boat, but a hard chined boat of similar dimensions.

Twintex has proven to be durable for me, but i'm not abusing it like a PE or even a Royalex boat. I *really* appreciate the weight, which can really make a difference in the "not abusing it" department. Still, I'd had to be swamped and take a hard hit, regardless what the paddler weighed.

Search "zephyr goop" on the forum here - "Alan S" suggested it and I later tried it. It's been solid for me.

I treat mine like a slalom boat. I really enjoy mine but do find that my other boats come out to play when the river is low. It has also become my go-to boat in twisty, swampy flatwater creeks.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Regarding the Genesis - I'm not crazy about it. It's pretty slow for one thing,
Don't expect an 11' hull to be faster than a 13' hull. The most important factor in hull speed is hull length. I own a Genesis and two different 11' canoes (Ovation and Ocoee). The Genesis is faster. Now acceleration is a different matter. But I don't think at your weight and how far down the Zephyr will be down in the water that you'll see an improvement in that over the Genesis.
Canoe111
c

Post by Canoe111 »

I was well over 300# and paddled a Whitesell Pyranha. After I dropped to 240#, I went to a Probe 14, then to a Whitesell Descender. I have demoed all the Mohawk boats from the Viper 11 to the Probe 14 and without a doubt the bigger boats performed better for me at my higher weights. The more you press the boat into the water, the less responsive it becomes.
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

I'm agree with Nick Parker - it is a good hull! Unfortunately I cracked mine when jump 2 m waterfall. Twintex is very durable against sliding kicks, but not resistant against vertical kicks. So don't jump waterfalls, and now seal lounch too
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

I think everything has been said about the durability, the only thing I'd add is if you wear shorts during the summer you may find your lower legs itching from contact with the hull (well the scratches I assume).
I'm 240 or there abouts and the Z floats me fine, better than my Ocoee thats for sure. I'd definitely trade some of the ocoee's maneuverability for the Z's speed, so much faster getting out of the eddies. Dryer too.
Peter K.
C Boater

Post by Peter K. »

I think the itching is from fibreglass fragments that the hull starts to shed when it is worn. I had no trouble for the first five years, but now that the boat is almost worn out I have this problem.