Flotilla Update

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Flotilla Update

Post by chuck naill »

Our Winter project has been a success. We have acquired several boats including a tandem Black Fly which will launch, Lord willing , this weekend.

We have used the Aire Puma for the 4 year olds and only had one fall out.

The Dagger Torrents have been a huge success swapping out as we went down stream.

Less used, but still popular has been the NRS tandem Outlaw.

My 14 year old GD went from Zephyr to Vertige as a more stable learning platform. I am saving the Zephyr for some Plateau rivers this Winter.

My go to outfitters have been private owners (willing to sell) and NRS via EBay and direct. I feel the 7K spent one paddling and camping equipment will yield years of relationships and outlast me in use. While I recognize the cost was high, I cannot think of another way to readily connect to my family.
wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

Re: Flotilla Update

Post by wildwaterc2 »

Nice Chuck.

I've been supplementing our family boats for more kid paddling in bigger whitewater (done I-II for years). We just got back from a 2 week family paddling trip - Nolichucky Gorge, Pigeon, Nanty, Ocoee, Chattooga 3, and French Broad to Stackhouse. The Noli, Pigeon and Ocoee were in our new-to-us Super Duper Puma, which is a 2.5' longer version of your Puma - it was great. I installed an add-on Aire thwart hand strap for the front thwart that the kids can grab if they feel unstable. I really like the Puma series - I've paddled a regular Puma some also, and both almost paddle like a big tandem canoe. I bought mine used sight unseen from an outfitter out west for about 60% of new. We carry it rolled up on a hitch cargo carrier and inflate it for each run. The kids love it - the Ocoee was a real kid favorite in the raft. The Noli was low and thus tricky - had to shift to one tube and then the other in Quartermile and others. Pigeon was fun, quick and easy - point it downstream and go.

On easier runs, one kid and I are in a Mad River Howler, with my wife in a Shacho, with the other kid in a Thrillseeker ducky. My kids are 8 and 11.

The boat that has been awesome with the kids is the Thrillseeker, from Attila. I bought a used youth Thrillseeker from him (110 or 120 model, with the number as the design paddler weight). These don't paddle like a normal ducky - much narrower and more performance oriented. We have a Liquid Logic Coupe also, but the Thrillseeker works much better for the kids in whitewater, and it is the most popular boat for kids on multi-family I-II floats. If you are interested in adding to your fleet you might check with Attila - they are a blast. My wife and I have fun playing in it in the ocean surf.

For canoe content, my kids are each learning real canoe strokes in the Howler - with its narrow width and rocker, they can really feel the boat move when they put in a draw or cross-draw, and each likes running slalom gates with me as well as surfing waves. But I think they'll each have to grow a little before they try the solo canoe in whitewater.

I agree with you on the investment - it has already well paid for itself.