Outfitting Millbrook Howler

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Outfitting Millbrook Howler

Post by keithmasill81 »

What do people use to attach anchor points for thigh straps on old composite canoes? Can I just glue in some D-rings or do I need to "glass" them in? In the alternative could I just glue in a bulkhead? Pros and cons?

What about placement of the anchor points? Is is just a matter of eyeballing or do I need to measure twice?

How about painting a composite hull? It currently has a sweet (but faded) brownish gold sparkle going on that I would like to revive.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I will try to post pictures as this project gets going.

Keith
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Re: Outfitting Millbrook Howler

Post by Mikey B »

I'd think you'd want to rough up the hull where you want the anchors and glass in rope for anchor points. You could glue in a bulkhead though just fine too.
If your hull is just faded, a coat of clearcoat would bring it back to shine.
Pics would be nice :D
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Oops, everyone is pretty particular about strap placements. Are you doing a single over thighs or a Mike Yee style with over the knees and thighs?
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

If I do strap instead of bulkhead (leaning toward bulkhead) I would do single strap just to keep it simple.
Gallandt

Post by Gallandt »

I've had good results with G-flex on purchased loops/rings (e.g., Mike Yee outfitting). Rough up the boat with 60-grit; vacuum; apply the G-flex to the item; place on boat (leveled so patch is flat); roll/push out air bubbles; cover with saran wrap; lay over a thin sandbag, then a heaver, 10 lb. sand bag; remove in the morning.

I did extensive repairs to an old Defiant and painted the interior with latex grey house paint at Kaz's suggestion; outside of hull I sprayed with spray can enamel.
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

Here are a few pictures. Paddled it briefly on the canal through some gates today. Different than my Octane and I like it.
Attachments
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG (40.29 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

Really like the way the sun is able to penetrate the hull. Maybe I will put some mini puppet cutouts on the inside...
Attachments
IMG_2116.JPG
IMG_2116.JPG (33.71 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

So far that is it for the outfiitting. Starting bulkhead installation tomorrow and maybe bags if I have time.
Attachments
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG (35.73 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

Love those lines.
Attachments
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG (35.1 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

Almost done with the seat build. Probably will install tomorrow.

Can anyone advise me on seat placement. The previous setup was pretty far back. I paddled it briefly on some gates and the rear did feel like it was hanging up a bit. Do people usually center the seat in a boat with the intent to use it for slalom? Do I just put the seat in loose and find the pivot point like with any other boat? I guess the highly rockered stern is kind of throwing me off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

Kinda like the way it looks at the moment: "experienced".
With a nice rigging job some & some good floatation colour that would be a signature boat to me.

I'm hauling my kevlar Viper 11 into the shop this winter for some love, it's had a few hard rivers in the last years.
Pretty much I'm just gonna lightly glass/tape over the abrasion feathering, grind to expose a few impact blisters, and maybe lay a layer of tape on the bow crack. It looks well travelled, but that is it's calling card, with pride.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

Post by wildwaterc2 »

From just having setup a Royalex Howler, I think you are going to have to paddle it with a loose saddle to find the right placement.

I took a bubble level with me. After some review, I convinced myself that the gunwale at the middle should be essentially horizontal when it was trimmed correctly. I moved my position until I found the right place with the level, then tested out how that felt. I found the right place for me was about 3" back of the level position when not moving and sitting upright.

I don't know if the Millbrook Howler gunwale should be level or not when trimmed correctly, but it seemed right on the Mad River version.

Have fun - it is a cool boat.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Keith, did you get my email?
JKaz......
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

I did John. Thank you for the follow up. I also responded with another question...Thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated.

Keith