C1 Karma question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

C1 Karma question

Post by Wendy »

I recently briefly paddled a C1 karma unlimited on the Pigeon. I was surprised at how stable it was with a 6 inch saddle. Would the shorter Karma L feel less stable as a C1 with a 6 inch saddle? It is shorter but a little wider.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: C1 Karma question

Post by ian123 »

I tried a large with a 5" saddle and it was rock solid. 6" should be fine.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks!!
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

I have a Flying Squirrel 95 for sale... Not a Karma but its definitely stable and large.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Length (at least in high volume creekboats) affects stability much less than width, hull shape and to a somewhat lesser extent volume. The Large Karma has significantly more volume and is significantly wider than the Karma UL, while still being 9 ft long. I find my Karma M ( my weight is about 175 lbs) rock solid, so the L should be even more so. I use a 6 inch saddle.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Albertaboat
c

Post by Albertaboat »

Hey Gonzo I'm around your weight at 180 and am looking for a new boat to replace my well used everest, I was wondering what made you chose a medium over a large karma?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The large simply seemed too big. I am even slightly under the weight range for the large, and Jacksons aways seem to be big volume for their size. In the Karma M I seem to be right in the sweet spot fot the weight range, and I don't do enough expedition paddling to justify going for the big instead. The M feels just right, even with all my emergency and FA gear in it.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks for the feedback!!