C1 Remix conversion: Seat position

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pea Pod
C Guru

C1 Remix conversion: Seat position

Post by Pea Pod »

I’m converting a LiquidLogic Remix 69 into a c1. I’ve installed the seat on the rail and taken it for a test paddle on flatwater. Currently, the seat back is about 250-mm (10”) from the rear cockpit rim. How do I know if this is the right seat position? It feels OK, but does an inch fore or aft make much of a difference?
Wodza
C Guru

Re: C1 Remix conversion: Seat position

Post by Wodza »

I don't have an answer for you but have a suggestion that has worked pretty well for me. On all the three of the conversions I've done myself I have put a little bit of Velcro down and straped the saddle down as well to keep the seat adjustable. The strap holds it down and the Velcro keeps it from sliding forward and backward. Then I take it out a few times and it can be adjusted while on the river. Once I've found the spot I cut a little bit of foam to make a more sturdy backrest. I've done this on a score, 4fun, zen and a similar idea on a tandem/solo caption. Doesn't need a lot of Velcro but if you don't have any it slides.

You can use a flimsy plastic ruler to slide the nylon webbing under the rail.
Attachments
image.jpg
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

My Remix 69 and 79 and current Stomper paddle well at 9" set back.
strong
C Boater

Post by strong »

On a 79 my seat is just under 8 inches, from the back cockpit rim. I have played with it a bit. To far forward, it feels a little bit more likely to get stuck in power turns. To far back it seems to catch the stern a little bit more. But it seems like there is a really wide range of where you can have the pedestal.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Remix 79. 6 inches from seat back (it curves, this is to where it's flat, higher up the offset is less) - 6" to inside of cockpit rim. 230#.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Interesting numbers...

Doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations, shifting the lower leg mass from in front of the knee to pointing back moves the CG only 3-4". I'm making a bunch of weight guesses though.
Bob P
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

In my conversions I've never ended up significantly forward of the kayak seating position - mainly because my thick legs don't fit very far forward in a tapering, keyhole cockpit. It makes buying skirts easier. I've rarely, if ever, felt like I needed to be any further forward than my thighs allow.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I don't know about the remix, but in my boats 1 inch does make a difference that I can notice. Is it worth playing with? Not if it's a hassle to play with it, and you like how the boat handles as is.
Larry
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Thanks all for your responses. I can make the seat with about 3 inches of trim adjustment possible. At least I was in the ball park.