deck plates

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

deck plates

Post by TonyB »

Looking to beat up the ends of my blink and don't wanna mess with wood.The mohawk plates on my viper would fit the bill but are a little longer than I want.
Any suggestions.
Proud Yankee
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: deck plates

Post by PAC »

I think you need to get creative there too with some eyeliner on the ends! Lay up something in glass / Kevlar for more style points.

just say'n!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Was looking for less work and more protection then laying up some clothe I have gotten into the (bad)? habit of setting/pivoting boats on their nose when lifting and dumping, so wanted something that would rap around a bit like the mohawk plates. Thought about just cutting ones off the ledge but red wouldn't work, and the mohawk plates are just a touch too long.
Proud Yankee
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

HDPE sheet. Comes in various thicknesses, is easy to cut/machine, is tough as nails, and is UV stable. King Starboard ST is a brand name that is good. It's not cheap, but there are some places that sell/cut smaller pieces, such as:

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/king-star ... ArGC8P8HAQ

If you have CAD skills, draw up what you need and have it cut on a CNC router. Cabinet shops, or places that build exhibits for museums & tradeshows will have that type of machine. HDPE cuts nicely with standard router bits.

You can also hand cut/machine it with standard woodworking tools. It does not sand well, so it is best to make a clean cut with a router. If you do need to sand/file, brief exposure to a torch flame will smooth out the finish.

It can be glued with the proper technique & epoxy, but it is best to avoid that if you can. If you have to glue it, follow the standard recommendations from West Systems:

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/gluing-pla ... lex-epoxy/

I'm not associated with these companies in any way. I have machined a bunch of Starboard, it's good stuff.
creek1r
Pain Boater

Post by creek1r »

I have new Blink #15 and realized same problem immediately. Deck plates are carbon/basalt. Purchased Surlyn film (for protecting ski/snowboard tops) 14" wide, $2.95/ft from Tognar.com. Laminated entire deckplate and bow/stern ends at deckplates. Then a little gorilla tape on very tip of deckplate over Surlyn film where bow/stern would contact ground. Film is easily to peel off and replace if necessary. Part# TYC 7210 Skuff Saver Tape.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Suggestion: Don't stand boat on end. ;)
JKaz......
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Kaz you forgot to add to paddle AROUND rocks not through them! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Sounds like a job for a couple of cheap plastic chopping boards....

Would be a shame to add a lot of weight to a Blink....