Millbrook M.E. Thoughts

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bunk
c

Millbrook M.E. Thoughts

Post by bunk »

Hey guys,

I have read I believe most of the threads on here about the M.E. canoe. I still have a few questions for those who have paddled one. I'm looking to paddle this boat solo only.

How does it compare to the Caption in terms of stability and ability to handle some gear?

Also, the ACDC...how does it and the ME compare for paddling whitewater with some gear...ie class 3 Canadian Shield rivers?

I have experience with a Hellman Scout. I love the material it's made of but it should not be labeled a whitewater boat in my opinion...it has almost no rocker (although it's listed at 4" symmetrical). Basically wondering how the ME and ACDC look in appearance and actually handle. The ACDC strikes me as similar to my Hellman Scout...almost no rocker and while likely able to handle whitewater just fine it likely is not very agile at catching eddies and maneuvering down ledges... . I know lots of Canadians like a basic boat like a prospector for whitewater but I am after something more performance oriented for whitewater and sacrifice some speed on the flats.

I'm thinking the ME looks like it would work for me. Any more thoughts on this boat would be appreciated as well as the ACDC.

Thanks!
bunk
c

Re: Millbrook M.E. Thoughts

Post by bunk »

Just lookin for some insight on folk who have paddled the ME and what it's stability is like preferably compared to the Caption.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Where are you located? I can access a ME (kevlar) and AC DC fairly easily if you wished to try out both... upstate NY (Lake George / Saratoga Springs area).

For a solo tripping canoe between the 2 I'd go for the ME given what you are looking for - turns much easier. The AC DC is a nice Tandem you can Solo... the ME is a nice big Solo you can Tandem...

I've not paddled a Caption so I can't compare... sorry.

Now I'll ask the question i should have asked first - what sort of paddling are you planning on, and how much do you weigh? I'm assuming your planning on whitewater tripping, or are 225+ lbs... otherwise, if you are looking at day trips and want a "nimble" boat I'd go smaller....
Keep the C!
Adam
bunk
c

Post by bunk »

Hey thanks for the reply!

I'm actually up in Canada and no passport but appreciate the offer.

I weigh about 220lbs, have a 50lb dog that always accompanies me. I will be using this boat for multi day whitewater river tripping...up to two weeks. Running class 1-3 whitewater. And it will be outfitted for solo only.

I have a Hellman Scout in Duratuff but it does not offer anywhere near the whitewater performance I'm after. That being said the Duratuff is very tough and if John's boats are similar for durability then I think the ME would work nicely for me.

Any more comments on the ME and Johns layup would be appreciated...especially if a comparison can be made to Hellmans Duratuff.

Thanks!
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

I have a Caption that is currently solo outfitted and had an ME as one of my first boats also outfitted solo. I like the ME better as a solo boat as it felt more nimble with just one person in it. Caption is definitely more of a tandem boat that can be managed as a solo. I did find that the ME was not the best tracking boat I have ever paddled but that could have been due to inexperience at the time.

I currently own a Millbrook Howler that was made in the mid 90s and it is still going strong. I don't run it into rocks on purpose but I am not afraid to bump and scrape it. Plus, you can repair almost to no end.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you carry a lot of gear you might want to go with the AC DC between those two, otherwise ME sounds like the logical choice.

That said, if I were in your shoes I'd call Kaz and ask him what boat in his lineup best matches up with what you are looking for... IIRC there might be another "classic" style boat you may want to look at (Patriot?), and there may be others that are better suited for what you are looking for.

I have a soft spot for the AC/DC as it was the boat I first started paddling (tandem) 35+ years ago, but also really like the ME I picked up last year (that I'd borrowed in the past).

The past few years I've been drifting from C1's to OC1's, we'll see what this summer brings:)
Keep the C!
Adam
bunk
c

Post by bunk »

Thanks fellas,

Sir Adam...John had initially recommended the AC/DC but from the pictures I've looked at it looks very similar to my Scout...I'm after something more "Caption" like. It is nice paddling the rivers up north and making it down big class 3's with not too much difficulty and paddling rapids that a typical tripping boat may have trouble with.

I have a Pocket Canyon as well which is a pretty special boat...it is very wide though and it's a challenge crossing to the other side for paddle strokes....I'm a short thick guy so don't have the arm length.
bunk
c

Post by bunk »

Do you have a picture of your ME?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll try and get a few images this week if I can (sugaring season, so it may be tough depending on how the sap is running).

The AC DC is quite capable on class II / III water in my experience (even big III). You aren't going to be getting in to microeddys with either boat;)

If I do "solo plus" flatwater / moving water trips (me and one or both of my kids if ADK Sara isn't up for tagging along) I lean towards the AC DC. I'm 5'7", 170lbs these days. I've also retrofitted a Sawyer Champ II with a 3rd seat so I can paddle it "solo" with both kids and gear. I think the AC DC is actually faster in that configuration believe it or no, even without a good head wind....

I've paddled the ME with our 6 year old, and it is noticeably slower than the AC DC with the same load. It is more maneuverable though.

I'd go with whatever Kaz recommends as I trust his experience and judgement.
Keep the C!
Adam
bunk
c

Post by bunk »

Thank you!

And no worries about the pics...I found a few...also my folks tap as well and I know how much work it is! Good luck! And thank you again for your insight on the ACDC....I'm reconsidering it just afraid it will be basically the same boat as my Hellman Scout...ah decisions lol.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

https://youtu.be/4G2ZsXNjEHk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
gerrit
c

Post by gerrit »

bunk wrote:The ACDC strikes me as similar to my Hellman Scout...almost no rocker and while likely able to handle whitewater just fine it likely is not very agile at catching eddies and maneuvering down ledges... . I know lots of Canadians like a basic boat like a prospector for whitewater but I am after something more performance oriented for whitewater and sacrifice some speed on the flats.

I'm thinking the ME looks like it would work for me. Any more thoughts on this boat would be appreciated as well as the ACDC.

Thanks!
Hi,
regarding the ACDC, there's a bit written down here: https://www.cboats.net/cforum3/viewtopi ... hilit=acdc

Get one :wink:
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

And finally a few images as promised... took the ME out for a spin today. It reaffirmed my thoughts of the AC DC being a better tripping platform.
IMG_3123 (1).jpg
IMG_3124 (1).jpg
IMG_3125 (1).jpg
IMG_3126 (1).jpg
Keep the C!
Adam
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Adam, any chance you know what the seat spacing/position measurements are in that boat??? I have a Mad River ME but I think the previous owner moved things around.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I can measure, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if my Millbrook version differs a little in placement than the Mad River, partially as this was built as a race boat for a specific team.
Keep the C!
Adam