New Boat Feedback

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

New Boat Feedback

Post by Yukon »

So now another year of ALF is finished and a couple or three new boats I believe made their debute at ALF. I am wondering how people found them? I having patiently waiting for some reviews and very surprised there has been no mention of them on here.

So folks that got to paddle the new Silver Birch and Big Dog- can you kindly share some feedback
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: New Boat Feedback

Post by Wendy »

I would love to hear feedback on the Covert. Yesterday I heard one stroke gets it up to speed, not as stable as a L'Edge. Boots great. I paddled the Dropzone on the Nanty where the prototype is available at ERA. The boat is incredibly dry, fast for it's length, ferried well, smooth transition from excellent primary to secondary, yet ferries well in strong current. Taking it through the Bump booked with ease, and the falls. Only issue I had was peeling out in heavy current needs speed I don't need in the Blackflies, but I believe as does Red that is because it was set up a little stern heavy for me. Of course, this is the prototype and the production will be a little smaller per Red, and the folks across the pond.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Yukon wrote: . . . So folks that got to paddle the new Silver Birch and Big Dog- can you kindly share some feedback
Thanks for kicking this off, Yukon -- I was just about to ask the same question!

Wendy, thanks for the comments. Exactly the sort of info we'd all like to hear. I like the comments comparing the new hulls with other existing boats.

Understood that the final production models may not be out yet, but we'd also like to know the specs as well as the paddling characteristics, if anyone has that info.

Thanks, folks! Keep talking! :D

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The Drop Zone proto is 8'6" long. I paddled it on the Middle Tellico at 2.3'. It is stable (both primary and secondary), dry and boofs easily. It has crisp edges that make it very snappy. I was surprised at how well it tracks. When off line it was extremely easy to correct using torso rotation and lean while still paddling forward.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I was able to get in the Covert for a very low flow Cheoah Run, and low Flow Watauga. Here are my early impressions - very fun boat. Dry, Fast, Good overall stability and Responsive with softer edges that want to reward you for hitting moves correctly(good angle, speed, lean) - although I found it very forgiving for when things don't go as planned due to the soft edges. Boat also resurfaces GREAT. As far as surfing is concerned, I didn't get a chance to really get at it, but from speaking with the designers, it was designed to surf well.

All in all, as far as plastic boats are concerned(discounting the prelude) - it is the most responsive boat out there right now (imo), and definitely worth taking a hard look at for anyone that wants to change things up. Covert 9.3 - River runner, with solid creeking qualities. Already have one on order, and cant wait to start paddling it. I believe they are in production.

There is about 2 minutes of Covert action at the end of this ALF video. https://vimeo.com/159579676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Help this helps a little, but really you need to get in one for a solid day or two and then you'll know.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Thanks for the review! So how does one buy a Covert in the States or Canada ... I'd drive up to Vancouver, BC. Anyone know? Is there a North American distributor?
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I know they have some distributors set up in Canada on the east coast. Not sure what is going on with regards to west coast yet. I would say contact them directly via their website, or FB message.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Not sure about US distribution, but Silverbirch have the aluminium moulds for the Covert up and running and have been in production for a few months now.

Hou (who will be manufacturing and distributing the Big Dog designed Dropzone) have been using a GRP mould for final prototypes that some of you have tried, the aluminium mould is being worked on at present and they are finalising the outfitting options and price. I beleive they have access to a US distributor already, but I don't know who it is?

On old design news, something I saw today looks like Esquif have joined up with LiquidLogic for production of the L'edge Lite, I think the notice said they should be back in production in May.