OC-1 with seat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jangledaddy

OC-1 with seat

Post by jangledaddy »

Due to distance and time I make one or two "whitewater" trips a year and my progression of paddling skill has been slow. By whitewater, I'm talking about the Mulberry, Big Piney and Upper Buffalo in Arkansas. Some years back I finally made the jump to a Mohawk Probe 12II. I enjoyed the way the boat handled for my skill level but in the last few years it became very uncomfortable to paddle. Last year I had to exit the boat every 20-30 minutes to straighten out. Recently I decided to sell the Mohawk but I would still like to paddle class II stuff.

I expect this topic has been addressed before and I apologize if this is repetition but I would like some advice on hanging a seat in a larger whitewater boat. I mostly paddle a Bell Wildfire royalex and kneel about half the time but I'm able to sit and stretch out in the quieter sections. I did the Boxley section of the Buffalo this spring and the Bell lacked maneuverability and was a wet ride. I envision rigging something like how Wenonah set up their Rendezvous with a canted seat, knee cups and straps. I had a composite Rendezvous and did not like the way it handled plus it's almost 16 feet long.

The Vertige X has been suggested but with a 33 inch beam, it may be a bit wide. Any other ideas? Thanks.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Re: OC-1 with seat

Post by cheajack »

I bet you could get comfy if you raised your saddle height and tweaked the rest of your outfitting
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: OC-1 with seat

Post by Paddle Power »

The Vertige, no x, might also be an option. It's easy to install a regular canoe seat hanging from the gunwales, and knee cups, straps, etc…That would work well in CII.

Of course there are other possible boats:
caper
genesis
H2 pro
piranha
probe 14
xl series such as XL 14 or 15
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;