New Zealand--C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pea Pod
C Guru

New Zealand--C1?

Post by Pea Pod »

I’m interesting in a C1 paddling holiday in New Zealand when things warm up, to take my C1 paddling to the next level. I’d like to join a formal group for tuition/river running, if there is one. I have K1 mates who’ve had a great time at the NZ Kayak School, and the school has expressed interest in teaching me, but they acknowledge that C1 is not their strength.

Are there any folks on cboats.net who live in or regularly travel to NZ who can offer suggestions?
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Re: New Zealand--C1?

Post by Gwyn »

Hi Pea-Pod,

I think that I may have already contacted you via email, but just in case;

NZ is fantastic boating, but you will not find many C1 padddlers there. I know of 3 or 4 in the entire country. Try Paul Eames at the Mangaweka Adventure company - he is a slalom paddler, and might be willing to do some coaching.

Failing that, it is relatively easy to find kayakers to boat with for the easier runs if you are at the popular paddling spots in the Summer (Okere Falls, Murchison, Hawea?)

Thanks
Gwyn
Gwyn
http://www.petawawaraftteam.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mohakarafting.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shaggydesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I believe NZMatt is back home now - he and his wife would be a great contact and fellow CBoaters! Not sure if he checks his account much here anymore, but if he does I'm sure he'll chime in:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Thanks Gwyn for you post here and email. And NZ Matt has been in touch via pm.

The short of it is that there's not much C1 tuition there, though there's plenty of top rivers to paddle. Might just go with my K1 buddies in summer anyway and try to meet any local C-boaters.
NZ C1er
C Boater

Post by NZ C1er »

Hi Pea Pod,
The subject of NZ C1 instruction has been well covered, there's none....
If you are to be in the South Island get in contact, I live close to Matt.
Re instruction, failing a trip to the US get a good kayak instructor to explain how river features interact with the boat, I'm 65 and self taught but but getting so much more out of the river having bought a heap of beers and sat down with a good kayak instructor and picked his brain, which edge to present to what feature, why I got typewritered? Never knew it existed.... How to use holes well to move about the river etc.
I will go back and pick his brain again cos I see lots of kayakers doing harder stuff but obviously don't understand fully just how the river and their boat interacts.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Hi NZ C1er,

Thanks for the offer. I'll get in touch if I go to the South Island.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Anyone know Greg Bristol? An NZ slalom paddler suggested that he might be able to offer tuition, but failed to pass on any details.