Need a new PFD

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

old and in the way
C Guru

Need a new PFD

Post by old and in the way »

As I get older (and heavier) the slalom PFD just doesn't cut it any more for river running so I guess it's time to break down and get a real one. Trouble is - every dang PFD out there is 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Buckles, straps, hooks, loops - are you going climbing or going paddling?

I've been looking and just not finding what I like, which is a slalom style PFD, without all the jimmies and sprinkles, that is CG approved.

Any suggestions?
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Need a new PFD

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm not sure how soon, but I've heard on good authority that Astral will be releasing some of the old Lotus designs. I'm hoping they produce the Sherman again, as mine is nearing replacement condition.
Keep the C!
Adam
old and in the way
C Guru

Closest I've found is the Astral YTV, but still big buckles on the sides, not a fan of that. Be interesting to see if the old Lotus designs do come back.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
NZ C1er
C Boater

Post by NZ C1er »

I am looking hard for a new PFD also. My main gripe with the current fashion in PFDs is that they do not seem to be designed with the C1 roll in mind, (which they have not) they have become very bulky out front, especially so when the chest pocket is filled up. This bulk is in my eyes counterproductive when trying to get close onto the front deckin the final part of the C roll.
In my old style model at present I have removed one of the layers of buoyancy in front shaving one inch and also keep the front pocket empty, it helps in the roll. If you don't believe me go to the pool and roll the hades out of yourself until exhausted then try rolling with and without a PFD.
Anyone got sugestion as to a model without the frontal bulk?
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

old and in the way wrote:As I get older
If you are, in fact, old and in the way...you might be old enough to remember when: they were called "life jackets," and when quite a few whitewater paddlers made their own. Remember the Walbridge kits?

Take your old one apart, use the fabric as a pattern, buy new material, bam...new life jacket. Some even make C-boat life jackets asymmetrical based on their paddling side. Zoom.

At today's PFD prices, you could easily afford buying a used sewing machine if you don't happen to have one.

With a little imagination, one can figure out any number of ways around the USGG label "issue."

Roy
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

NZ C1er wrote:I am looking hard for a new PFD also. My main gripe with the current fashion in PFDs is that they do not seem to be designed with the C1 roll in mind, (which they have not) they have become very bulky out front, especially so when the chest pocket is filled up. This bulk is in my eyes counterproductive when trying to get close onto the front deckin the final part of the C roll.
In my old style model at present I have removed one of the layers of buoyancy in front shaving one inch and also keep the front pocket empty, it helps in the roll. If you don't believe me go to the pool and roll the hades out of yourself until exhausted then try rolling with and without a PFD.
Anyone got suggestion as to a model without the frontal bulk?
The current Type I standards require that the jacket turn the swimmer face up. There's not much that we can do short of paddling with an non-certified jacket. Some slalom designs are like that. For a legal vest, you just have to find the one that interferes the least.
Bob P
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I like my Stohlquist Rocker vest. I roll my OC1 OK with it, haven't noticed any issues. Don't know about C1 rolling.
old and in the way
C Guru

Roy wrote:
old and in the way wrote:As I get older
If you are, in fact, old and in the way...you might be old enough to remember when: they were called "life jackets," and when quite a few whitewater paddlers made their own. Remember the Walbridge kits?

Take your old one apart, use the fabric as a pattern, buy new material, bam...new life jacket. Some even make C-boat life jackets asymmetrical based on their paddling side. Zoom.

At today's PFD prices, you could easily afford buying a used sewing machine if you don't happen to have one.

With a little imagination, one can figure out any number of ways around the USGG label "issue."

Roy
Actually did that with an old mid 80's vintage Prijon racing vest. Was my favorite but after so many years the foam was turning to, something, not foam. Current LIFE JACKET is a Sandiline, I love it, but should have something that actually floats an overweight old man.
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

old and in the way wrote:
Actually did that with an old mid 80's vintage Prijon racing vest. Was my favorite but after so many years the foam was turning to, something, not foam. Current LIFE JACKET is a Sandiline, I love it, but should have something that actually floats an overweight old man.

Gee, you are, like, 95% of the way there. Just make a Sandiline with a bit more foam. My current jacket is kind-of based on that slip-over that Extrasport made about 30 years ago.

http://www.owfinc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Check out the Astral Green Jacket and Sea Wolf - they are basically the same, but the Sea Wolf comes without chest harness (can be retrofitted). What I like is that although there is a front pocket, it has less bulk than most modern river running BAs and when you are kneeling you can adjust the front straps so the 2 slabs of front foam are on top of each other rather than one behind, one in front - you would need to try one on and slacken the shoulder straps to see what I mean. I kayak as well so I can adjust the fit of the sea wolf to suit whichever boat I'm in.

I still prefer my Sandiline if I'm not on serious water where a nearly old and quite overweight paddler like myself might take some serious downtime in a minimalist design....
NZ C1er
C Boater

Post by NZ C1er »

Thanks Jim, I will look at the Green Jacket with fresh eyes now..
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

JimW wrote:Check out the Astral Green Jacket and Sea Wolf - they are basically the same, but the Sea Wolf comes without chest harness (can be retrofitted). What I like is that although there is a front pocket, it has less bulk than most modern river running BAs and when you are kneeling you can adjust the front straps so the 2 slabs of front foam are on top of each other rather than one behind, one in front ...
Thanks for this tip. I can't get those two slabs of foam not to overlap entirely, but I think it's a better fit than before.