Bend whitewater park, anyone have a boat I can borrow?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wodza
C Guru

Bend whitewater park, anyone have a boat I can borrow?

Post by Wodza »

I'm going to be in Bend Oregon on Monday July 25th. I really would like to try the whitewater park out while I'm there. Problem is that I can't bring my Superstar C1 and can't kayak worth manure. I'm hoping one of you or someone you know lives near and has a boat suitable for a 200lbs, 6'4" person. I would ideally also like to borrow all the other gear ie paddle, helmet, Pfd and skirt. let me know.thanks in advance internet!
Wodza
C Guru

Re: Bend whitewater park, anyone have a boat I can borrow?

Post by Wodza »

Doesn't have to be C1, id also love to try out a Blackfly or CUFly or similar.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Also can be there Saturday if that changes anything.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Are you on Facebook? If so, you might get a few leads by posting to the PDX Kayaker group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PDXKayaker1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Thanks, I've posted on a bunch of Portland area facebook pages, I'll post in this one too. In the mean time Ive been down at the river working on my kayak roll so I can thrash around in a rental kayak. Should be fun either way.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I've asked the only canoeist I know in Bend and unfortunately he's going to be out of town.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Ive found a Superstar C1 to borrow. Thanks all.
richvrm
c

Post by richvrm »

How was the superstar C1? I have thought about making that conversion.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

2010 Superstar is a great conversion! It's what I use at home as well. I have since sold my 2010 4fun conversion because it was only slightly faster than the superstar and far too similar for me to justify keeping it around. I've only had it since March and it has taught me a lot. It's fast for a boat that is 6'2" and accelerates quickly as well. Good initial stability and ok secondary. If you are familiar with paddling a shorter slower boat than I would say go for it. Ive been very impressed. Since getting it I have learned how to stern stall, 360's on and splats and working on cartwheels. Once getting the moves down in the shorter superstar i've been able to transfer those moves over to my Dagger Redline that I bought to replace the 4fun. I started in a rival, went to a l'edge, than wavesport score, to a 4fun and now in my superstar, redline and zen.

I highly recommend the 2010 4FUN as well, it's really is a great boat.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Sorry for the 1st person only perspective. Here is my first day paddling the superstar on whitewater on Maryland wave on the Potomac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88sX7orMvo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richvrm
c

Post by richvrm »

Thanks for the update on that. I kayak the 2010 Superstar and would pick up another to convert if I could find one. It is a great boat and in my opinion one of the best ever made and wish JK would bring it back. I am looking at doing a conversion on a LL Biscuit 55. Anyone have any experience with that as a C1?
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

I have my Superstar set up so i can go from C1 to Kayak in 5 min. Pretty easy to do as long as it is not the crosslink style with the bar for a centre rail. I just hold my c1 saddle in with a nylon strap, raise the back band up with a piece of foam behind and underneath the bungee cord and drill a hole through the rail system to attach a 5 inch bolt through it to attach the anchoring point for thigh straps. When it's time to make it a kayak I undo the strap holding in the saddle, take out the bolt and rotate the thigh straps behind the back band. Then I tighten in the kayak seat with the thumb screw and thats it. I find you dont need to screw in the sides of the kayak seat because its a pretty tight fit as it is and works well just pressure fitted.
richvrm
c

Post by richvrm »

I'll have to seriously consider that option. Do you mind sharing pictures of you're set up?
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

I just started a facebook group called "c1 and oc1 outfitting ideas and photos". I posted the superstar on the group page. its not very nice looking but can serve you as a good place to start. I drilled through the hull to attach knee straps but you could possible feed a piece of flat stock aluminum under the rail for knee strap attachment or make a pressure fitted foam bulkhead. The other possiblility is to anchor the thigh straps further forward so they anchor the knees as well. That seems to be the theory with the factory jackson c1 outfitting.