Saddle height too high?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

AU_Whitewater

Saddle height too high?

Post by AU_Whitewater »

I just converted a Jackson superstar I had laying around to a c1. I have never been in a c1, and am trying to figure some things out. I purchased the Jackson conversion kit and the saddle height is 6". When I sit in the boat, it is hard for me to sit all the way down on the saddle and my ankles are killing me. I added a 3" block in top of the saddle, and it felt much better. I am unsure if a 9" saddle is too high for a 6' tall person with 32" inseam. I haven't had a chance to paddle It yet.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Saddle height too high?

Post by Sir Adam »

It all depends on your balance, the hull shape, and width.

I suspect with a kayak conversion you'll find it rather tippy, but you may be fine.

Work on stretching your legs and ankles and see if over time you can lower the saddle. Slalom racers go as low as 4.5" (probably lower for some!) most of mine are 6-8" depending on boat width.

While watching TV or whatever try kneeling / sitting on a beachball and over time (days) let more of the air out. Try to not let your legs fall asleep, and watch for circulation issues.

Ankle blocks (pieces of foam to prop your ankles up a bit) may help too, though I've found it best to stretch and be able to move my feet around to help keep the blood circulating.

Good luck!
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Sir Adam wrote: Work on stretching your legs and ankles and see if over time you can lower the saddle. Slalom racers go as low as 4.5" (probably lower for some!) most of mine are 6-8" depending on boat width.
Most C1 slalom racers now have seats that are in the 2"-3" height range (Casey's is closer to 2"). Even at 70yo, I'm still pretty comfortable at 4.5", but I've been paddling C1 for 35 years.
Bob P
AU_Whitewater

Post by AU_Whitewater »

My boat is pretty wide being a superstar. Most likely the problem is me not being very flexible.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Bob P wrote:
Sir Adam wrote: Work on stretching your legs and ankles and see if over time you can lower the saddle. Slalom racers go as low as 4.5" (probably lower for some!) most of mine are 6-8" depending on boat width.
Most C1 slalom racers now have seats that are in the 2"-3" height range (Casey's is closer to 2"). Even at 70yo, I'm still pretty comfortable at 4.5", but I've been paddling C1 for 35 years.

"OW" is all I'll say;)

Thank you for chiming in with up to date information - and reminding me how non-flexible I tend to be :cry:
Keep the C!
Adam
Ianonetwothree
c

Post by Ianonetwothree »

I d argue 6" is too high. C1s aren't comfortable.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Ianonetwothree wrote:I d argue 6" is too high. C1s aren't comfortable.
For you, maybe, but I'm fine in the kneeling position.
Sitting in a kayak, however, will make my back seize up after about 20 minutes...
Bob P
Ianonetwothree
c

Post by Ianonetwothree »

I m also "fine" but tolerable and comfortable aren't the same. For example, hammocks are comfortable, bike seats are tolerable.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Most of my boat saddles are at 8" to 8.5". I like that for knee longevity. It gives me more torque in a play boat and I have gotten use to paddling and rolling at that height. I get it for a race boat (have a few at the lower dimension) but like the higher. Try different heights to see what you like.

It takes time to get use to a particular height - start tall and cut down. harder the other way! ;-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Have you tried yoga? :lol:
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

johnd wrote:Have you tried yoga? :lol:
"Coincidentally" enough, I meditated (and did Yoga) in a kneeing position long before I started paddling...
Bob P
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've got two C-1 conversions in the fleet with >8.5" saddles. Be comfortable!
Ianonetwothree
c

Post by Ianonetwothree »

... Just be comfortable upside down also :)
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

9"is as low as I can go just to be tolerable
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

I needed about 6" seat in my old slalom boat, but got straight into the new one at 4" with no problem at all.

The difference is the width of the cockpit (and hull) - I am able to spread my lower legs further apart in the new boat which means I can sit much lower before my ankles take the same levels of strain/pain.

Conversely in the Session+ I converted the cocpkit width is probably OK (maybe a bit tight at front), but the step in the hull and the sides are too narrow so I need a 7" seat in there, which makes me way too top heavy, I still haven't successfully paddled that boat as a C1!

And yes the 'kids' (some of them quite old) who are more flexible than me are down to 2" or less seats in slalom boats now, although I do know one who raised his seat to 5" to increase leverage - I don't know if he has stuck with that or if it was just an experiment.