Removing skin from minicell

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFC
C Boater

Removing skin from minicell

Post by JFC »

What's the best way that everyone's found for removing the skin from full thicknesses of minicell? I have an orbital sander and disk grinder, but I think that I ended up going at it with a sanding block last time. I'm just building up a pedestal, but I might buy tools to make the next projects (ie, bulkheads) easier.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Removing skin from minicell

Post by Mike W. »

I've used an electric carving knife. It's not a fun job. Now I buy foam without the skin.
C1NCR
C Boater

Post by C1NCR »

I have used fine Shurform tool. They can make a thin cut and leave a uniform surface for gluing. I like the long (12 inch ) ones for a better grip and control.
wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

Post by wildwaterc2 »

I concur on the Surform. I prefer one like this as it lets you get more pressure to break through the skin.

http://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/c ... 211153.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bruce
C Boater

Post by bruce »

I use a large bandsaw with a fence to make a consistent cut. Much easier than other methods. If you don't have one, check out a local woodworking shop. for a couple bucks, they will cut it for you.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Mike W. wrote: . . . Now I buy foam without the skin. . .
Not sure why you would buy foam with the skin on in the first place. Rare times I've bought small chunks from our canoe dealer, and I've never been offered pieces with skin on. Nor would I accept them if they were offered.

More often, I've bought foam by the complete sheet ('bun') from the supplier, and they cut the skins off, as well as slice the foam into various thicknesses, for no extra charge.

I take the skins, usually around 1/8" thick, and glue them onto high-wear areas (knee blocks, saddles) with the shiny side out, to prevent the usual wear-and-tear of the foam. Waste not, . . .

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
skrag
c

Post by skrag »

Orbital sander with 60 grit is what I use. I have air and a Dynabrade though, so that makes it easier.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

+1 bandsaw. If not, then Surform.
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

Thanks, all. I've had this stuff for a while, but I think it was the only full thickness black foam that I could find online. If anyone has a source, I'd like to hear it.

I don't have access to a bandsaw set up for resawing, so I'll probably just go with a belt sander. I may try a power planer on a minimal cut first to see if it can cut without digging in.