Strip and refinish Royalite?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFC
C Boater

Strip and refinish Royalite?

Post by JFC »

I'm planning to recondition my Spark sometime this millenium, so this may be the first in a series of questions....

The outer sticker (the Mossy Oak decal) is beginning to peel, especially around wear points on the bottom. I've repainted to cover the ABS, but it doesn't look that great and it's only going to peel more. I've thought about sanding off the decal (or using 3M decal and adhesive remover) and repainting with a two-part automotive paint or an industrial coating--something that was made to take a little abuse. Has anyone done that, and how durable was the coating compared to the original Mossy Oak stuff?

Vacuum bagging a single sheet of Dynel for durability isn't out of the question, but it seems that this would add a bit of weight and might affect trim. Also, I work slow, and this would probably add a LOT of time to the project.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Re: Strip and refinish Royalite?

Post by cheajack »

Jeff Young (Smurf Warrior on this list) painted a Spark. You might contact him. I would urge you not to do anything that adds significant amounts of weight. The lightness is the beauty of that boat.
Ianonetwothree
c

Post by Ianonetwothree »

The outter layer isn't a decal, it s part of the laminate. You want it there.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I don't think that dynel will give you the results that you want even with vacuum bagging, it soaks too much resin. If I was to add an outer protective layer I would try epoxy with graphite powder mixed in, makes it a cool stealth black and a little slicker.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.