Ledge or octane

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Ledge or octane

Post by sbroam »

I took my sons out paddling on our local run the other day - me in my Covert 9.3, the younger one in a Spanish Fly, and the older in the Zephyr. Noah (the older one) is taller than me but the same weight (225) and has paddled the Zephyr numerous times. He was not feeling comfortable (stability) and took a swim. I chalked it up to being rusty. We swapped boats later and he was instantly in a different state of mind. I'm going to let him paddle it on some upcoming trips. I don't know if he appreciates the level of love that involves :-)
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Re: Ledge or octane

Post by boatbuster »

[quote="arhdc"]Alright,

Octane 85 - Planing Hull - Scaled down version of an Octane 91/92 intended for smaller paddlers/women. Most anyone that I know that has had one and liked it was 150lbs or less. Much edgier than the larger 91. Not used for creeking by most due to edginess, more of a river runner/surfer thought there are exceptions. Durability similar to Octane 91.

Let me say I am 180 pounds and the Octane 85 works great for me and is almost as dry as the 91. Also it is a great creek boat. If you paddle a L'Edge or a Ocoee on creeks, you will have no trouble with the edges on the 85, IMHO. I think most people pass them up because of the way they look and favor Options because they look like more of a "traditional" canoe, but if more people paddled the 85, more people would love it. Absolutely the most fun, versatile little boat I have ever owned, and I mainly paddle class III and IV creeks.