Ledge or octane

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Charlieinthebox

Ledge or octane

Post by Charlieinthebox »

Looking for a new boat. Not sure if I want to drop $1600 for a new octane 85, or find a used ledge for half that. Any thoughts? Class 3/3+ boater, not looking to be the next Dooley, just having fun. Typically found on tellico, little, ocoee, etc. Looking at stability factor, price, and fun. Thanks!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Ledge or octane

Post by Sir Adam »

Both are good, stable boats.

What is your height / weight? If you are bigger the Octane 85 may make sense.

If you don't tend to smack rocks a lot if I was in your shoes I'd look at some of the composite boats available as well - a lighter boat can be really, really nice on and off the water. The Echoee comes to mind, as does any of Kaz's Millbrook boats.
Keep the C!
Adam
Charlieinthebox

5'8 around 165. Rock smacker :)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm primarily a decked boater, but I had a blast in a L'Edge in Costa Rica with Esprit, and am pretty much exactly your size.

I think you may find the Octane 85 a bit big, but remember I'm coming from small pointy death traps;)

Paddle them both if you can at ALF or the spring CBoats armada if you can.
Keep the C!
Adam
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I think this thread has its Octanes mixed up. The Octane 85 is smaller than the L'edge. The Octane 85 is just 8'4" and is probably better for a lighter paddler than the L'edge, but that's debatable. I'd look beyond both those boats and suggest an Option. Faster hull speed and more versatile canoe. I've been paddling one for two years now and really like it. I'm a few inches taller and a few pounds lighter.
ianpbarrett

Post by ianpbarrett »

I have the same question, except I'm 5'8" 150. I am also considering the Option.

I'm paddling a badly worn Mohawk rodeo... All I want for Christmas is a new canoe, or at least a good idea on what to buy. I live in SW Colorado so demo'ing doesn't seem like an viable choice. I'd like the boat to do it all, big water and technical low flow stuff.

Please chime in.
Ianonetwothree
c

Post by Ianonetwothree »

The ledge is a great boat but I wouldn't touch a used ledge due the cracking issues. I ve never paddled an octane.
I couldn't disagree more with the earlier post about the option being the better all around canoe. It s an amazing creek boat...
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I couldn't disagree more with the earlier post about the option being the better all around canoe. It s an amazing creek boat...
Could be just a difference in opinion. I find the Option is good in big water, technical water, and yes, creeks. That's why I call a good "all around canoe," at least when talking solo whitewater boats. I use mine for all three, plus find it an excellent playboat when it comes to surfing. This is the opinion of a paddler that has been spending about 65 river days a year in an Option on PNW rivers. So while it's an informed opinion based on experience, it's just an opinion. As for other PE boats, I have experience in a L'edge, Octane 85, and Prelude.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Re: Octanes - you are right - I was thinking the 91....

I'm hoping someone down south tries and Echoee - the layup is fairly intriguing durability wise from what I've heard (Basalt / Innegra), and still light. I'm curious how it holds up for the self professed rock bashers:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Einar
CBoats Addict

Amazing

Post by Einar »

Amazing.
Through the initiative of a few creative individuals we can now round up to a discussion on the variety of new canoe designs, in new materials, about hulls that are actually in the water and that are actually changing technique and limits.

"Things change slowly, then... all of a sudden"

Merry Christmas to all the Designers and risk takers.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

At ALF last year they brought several Echoees and he had folks bash rocks on the Tellico, paddling them like plastic boats. They were holding up really well for that event.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Don't forget the Covert by Silverbirch. Quick,nimble, dry. Not cheap but worth it. If you're on budget a used option or octane85 or l'edge come around periodically
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Alright,

I know that Wendy has paddled most if not all of the modern plastic boats but let me offer my $0.02 on them.

Option - Semi-Displacement Hull - Good all around boat/creeker that is run as a primary boat by many people on everything from creeks to big water. Best suited for folks under 180lbs though many up to 220lbs use them with great success. Very dry for boaters within the weight range. Durable.

L'Edge - Semi-Displacement Hull, slightly more planing than Option - Good all around boat. Ever so slightly less creekie than an Option but still a great creeker. Run as a primary boat by many people on everything from creeks to big water. Best suited for folks under 200lbs though many up to 240lbs use them with great success. Less durable than Options historically but improved from the original versions.

Octane 91 - Planing Hull - Hull designed to be a tandem outfitted for solo. Big Boy boat, handles 300lbs just fine. Used as a river runner/creeker by guys too heavy to paddle Options/L'Edges and a few other strange people. Good in big water. Requires a lot of mojo to make go. Dry if you can drive them hard. Fairly durable, better than L'Edges and worse than Options historically.

Octane 85 - Planing Hull - Scaled down version of an Octane 91/92 intended for smaller paddlers/women. Most anyone that I know that has had one and liked it was 150lbs or less. Much edgier than the larger 91. Not used for creeking by most due to edginess, more of a river runner/surfer thought there are exceptions. Durability similar to Octane 91.

Covert - Displacement Hull - Newest boat out there. Intended to be a river runner though some creek in them. Much faster and lighter handling than the other short plastic boats. Very dry. Great boats for people under 200lbs, dry but unstable for big boys. Durability unclear at this point but they have a good warranty.

These are not intended to be comprehensive reviews but more of a guideline to be able to ask the right questions. I have paddled all of these boats but my lens is that of someone that is too heavy for most of these boats. I like the L'Edge and the Option (paddled an option for a couple of years) but they are wet for me at 240+lbs, the Covert is fun but squirrely for my weight. I currently paddle an Octane 91 and love the boat wile hating myself a little bit because it feels like cheating. The Octane 91 requires aggressive paddling and power or harder runs but is stupidly stable.
Last edited by arhdc on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Charlieinthebox

Thanks for the advice. So would you guys consider the option or the octane 85 more stable for my weight?
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Both the option and octane 85 would be stable for you at your weight. The option as a semi displacement hull would almost certainly be more predictable and forgiving for the rivers that you like to run than the edgie planing hull octane 85. You should also try a Covert if you can, you may really like it.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.