new video

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pmp
CBoats Addict

new video

Post by pmp »

Hi Canoeists, Paddlers and Open Boaters
If you've ever surfed in an open canoe, or wish you could... check out my latest instructional video online. http://paddlepointers.com/Video_Solo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Paul

Free Esquif L'Edge light Comp!
Well it's only free for the day, but that's still pretty cool!
When you sign up for one of my courses, book my demo 43 lb L'Edge Comp for a day.
Attachments
surfing rudder stroke.png
surfing rudder stroke.png (19.37 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
Last edited by pmp on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
KevinAmirault
c

Re: new video and free boat.

Post by KevinAmirault »

The free boat? Well the clickbait worked...
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Thanks for sharing

It's always great to see short and sweet, informative, free open canoe instructional videos online

Perfect timing, mid January. Nothing is flowing.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

thanks Brian. The next one I'm just finishing now, demonstrates the revised rolling technique for the new boats like the L'Edge, Octane etc. I'll prob. post it by Feb 1.
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for new video. Nice wave.

One surf video led to another - yeah, although the month of sun & snow has turned backed to rain today, nothing's been flowing even on the West coast - and now I've got a question if you don't mind...

From another of your surfing videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyjy4IYOaK0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...at one point (just after 2:00 mins) you get into carving, and teach that to get your boat moving to your offside, you tilt the hull to your onside, and vice versa, with a j-lean, to "let the shape of the hull do the carving for you". Right?

But then as the video wraps you show Andrew putting it all together (just after 3:00 mins), and it looks plain as day that Andrew is tilting in the direction that he wants to carve. I'm sure I'm not seeing things.

So what's the difference between what your saying at 2:10 (tilt opposite) and what Andrew's doing at 3:10 (tilt where you want to go)?

Cheers, Pat.
pmp
CBoats Addict

Re: tilt

Post by pmp »

good detective work Pat. My reply could be "andrew never does what i ask him to do":)
But in this case it is the boat's location on the wave that suggests which tilt. the surf at 2:10 is on a shorter wave with the bow embedded in the oncoming water. So tiling to outside of turn engages the front quarter of the boat's chine, causing boat to carve. Even if the bow were not embedded completely, tilting the boat will shorten water line and aid turn.

at 3:10, the boat's bow is not embedded in the water because andrew is carving to slow the boats descent down face of wave. much like downhill skiing when you carve turns in powder snow to slow down. indeed shredding a wave like this feels very much like powder skiing.

thanks for the question...keeps me honest.
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: new video

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks Paul.

The answer probably wasn't obvious to me (until I read it) because I don't think I've ever been on a big, smooth 3:10 wave, I tend to be on 2:10 rivers and waves, so couldn't make the comparison.

Thanks again, Pat.
benman
c

Re: new video

Post by benman »

Thanks for sharing that! It's a simple explanation but I'd always wondered why some people could carve a wave by just changing their tilt.