Helmet Advice

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Riverken
C Guru

Helmet Advice

Post by Riverken »

I haven't shopped for a helmet in ten years. Now I need a new one. The most important criterion by far is protection of what's left of my brain. I know that looks should be paramount, but humor me. Let's pretend for a moment that price is no object within reason. What should I get, and where can I get it?
beach
Pain Boater

Re: Helmet Advice

Post by beach »

Hi Riverken,

Thought you were in the Great White North? Certainly, you will be most safe in Canada. Perhaps a foil helmet will protect you most there. If you're really interested in protection, try a "Make America Great Again" helmet from our President.

Check Absurdity.com for sizes.

C well there!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I went through this a few years ago when i realized my (20 year old) Resin Heads helmet wasn't really going to do much any more than look pretty (LOTS of flex...).

Asking around, particularly with the steep creek crowd, and it appears at that point "the best" was Sweet Protection.

I found it fits better, clearly more protection, and is more comfortable than my old brain bucket.

YMMV

https://sweetprotection.com/sp_no/white ... protection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The Sweet Wanderer has the incredible protection including more on the back of your head. Excellent padding and the Wanderer is vented and their cheapest. You can find last years model on sale. I like the look of the Strutter and own one but it does not provide occiput (back of head) protection.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

I'm not a steep creaker, in fact I "only" tripped and fell at the put in for 8 stitches and 2 blackeyes. Steep put-inner?

With a 7 5/8 inch head I reloaded and bought a Gath Gedi model, XXL. I like it.

(Edit: I just checked and the helmet is triple-x rated in size for 7 5/8 = XXXL. I liked the Sweets but couldn't get that size guaranteed online or locally)
Last edited by Einar on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I bought a Sweet Rocker and it's been great over the last two years. Very comfortable, well padded and durable. It did have an advantage right off the bat when I was shopping for a helmet--it fit my head without any adjustment at all. That sold me. The one con is that it lacks vents and is hot to wear in summer. But dipping it once in Oregon's cold river waters and popping it back on my head fixes that. On the other hand, it's very warm in winter.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I checked out the Gath Gedi. When the beak is installed what happens if you have to roll up? Would it stay attached? Does it flip up so far and stop? Just wondering. That might be a consideration when purchasing.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

The Gath Gedi beak hasn't 'rolled up the rim' in my rolls in a kayak or in a canoe but it's a fair comment. My other initial concern was the split, two piece overlap, design that creates a more flexible integrity, held together by a pop rivet.
I'm not a steep creakier so haven't submitted myself, my cranium, or the Gedi to anything more than a grade 3+ trash test, so far.

In Gath's favour they do make an extensive line of successful products for other sports, in other testing grounds.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Sweet Rocker.
FURZTROCKEN!