East Coast Scale?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Einar
CBoats Addict

East Coast Scale?

Post by Einar »

East Coat scale/West scale?

I have 'overheard' this comment once before from an eastern paddler visiting western rivers.
I am looking at III-IV (East Coast scale :roll:
What is the difference? Is it grade, or is it definition of creek vs river, or ?

I'm a hard up against the mountains and the Pacific ocean west coaster that is interested in paddling east coast U.S.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: East Coast Scale?

Post by the great gonzo »

My experience from when I was out west for 2 years is that there is not only a difference between East and West, but also on withing the same region. BC seems to rate the same difficulty between 1/2 and one grade lower than Washington. Also types of water seem to factor in. Up in Eastern Canada, where big water is more prominent than steep creeks (generalizing here) big water seems to be a bit lower graded than creeks when compared to lets say the Southeast, where steep creeks outnumber big water rivers. Also Eastern Canada as well as to a lesser extent eastern US is more drop and pool than Western rivers which in general are more continuous. Something to do with what people are more familiar and comfortable with and vice versa. Different hazards and familiarity with them plays into it as well. Again generalizing here, but in the west wood is way more of a factor than out East, where in certainregions again sieves and undercuts are way more prominent than in the Western rivers I have paddled. But generally speaking, if you stay within the range of grade you are comfortable with, you will be fine.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Einar
CBoats Addict

East Coast Scale?

Post by Einar »

Thanks.
Interesting tour of the horizon.

Agree on the wood issue and continuous rapids; pumps are great, locally.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder