Convertions - what's the state of the art?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Convertions - what's the state of the art?

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Hi everyone, could you point me at what the current state of the art in converting kayak shells to C1 is?

I've had about 2½-3 years out of boating (injury, work & family combined to just push boating to the side), right before I stopped I'd just bought a Jefe-Grande to replace the previous one which I'd finally split, but never go round to converting it.

Previous setup was a foam saddle, rachet kneestraps and ratchet thigh-straps on a snap-shackle quick release, all mounted off the kayak centre rail. I could transplant them but they're all a bit rotten now from the humid climate in my shed.

I found the knee straps were less reliable than a bulkhead and will probably go back to the bulkhead this time.

If it helps I have access to a fairly large machine/fabrication shop and am open to complicated suggestions if they'll work well.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Convertions - what's the state of the art?

Post by Mike W. »

I really like a bullhead and lap belt. Just know that it'll take longer to get out if you swim. I like a cam lock buckle. I set them up so o can hold my paddle with my shift hand, then pull the skirt and pull the buckle towards my grip hand side.
NZ C1er
C Boater

Post by NZ C1er »

Welcome back Krikkit, your absence has been noted. Why convert when one can buy really well made boats from likes of Zet almost set to go with the hard work done? No more yakers cast offs.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Thanks Matt, I hope you had a good birthday recently (and that my memory is serving me adequately there).

Mainly, I'd like to convert because I already have an almost new Jefe Grande and a huge sheet of foam in my parents garage.

Being brutally honest still at the stage of life where I have to be "economical with money" (working in O&G hasn't been quite the gravy train it used to be these last few years)... After 11 years of never paying more than £250 (and a few hours of my life in a confined space with glue fumes) for a C1, I can't yet see enough of a justification to pay a manufacturer quadruple that for a new one just for convenience's sake.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
NZ C1er
C Boater

Post by NZ C1er »

Good point about economical with money which I tend to forget about now I've moved on from converting. PS I'm not Matt
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

NZ C1er wrote:PS I'm not Matt
I knew I was stretching my memory just a bit too far there :/ sorry.

You do have a point mind I tried a factory Director conversion just before I damaged my shoulder, and it was alright... At least as good as my 'first draft' of a DIY conversion as stock, so it would undoubtedly save a lot of time and effort for at least as good a result (and maybe stronger too).