Mohawk OCA / Warsaw Rocket

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Mohawk OCA / Warsaw Rocket

Post by horizongfx »

I have in my possession what I believe to be a Mohawk OCA / Warsaw Rocket, I know that Uniroyal was selling hulls to whatever company back in the 60/70's that wanted to re-badge the hulls to their own Flavor. I have seen Perception Chatooga / Nantahala
and others but I've never seen a Mohawk Rocket. The Owner Steve Mantooth Bought this boat new from Mohawk back then and Even went back to Mohawk to get a replacement deck-plate because a rock destroyed the original.
It has an original perception vinyl Center bag in it too !
Tell me what it is if you don't think its an OCA with a Mohawk fitting. The Gunwales are much thinner and Lighter than any I've ever seen on a Bluehole version and the boat is overall much lighter than and Bluehole OCA I've ever owned and I've owned a Few.
boatsideview2.jpg
plate2.jpg
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Roy
C Guru

Re: Mohawk OCA / Warsaw Rocket

Post by Roy »

First, I do not believe Blue Hole used the Uniroyal-molded hulls for the OCA. I always was told, Blue Hole molded their own hulls. While I have never had the two, side by side, I remember the shapes being clearly different. The OCA, for instance, pulls the volume toward the ends more than the Uniroyal shape.

Further, I don't think the hull in the pic is an OCA. Both the stem and sheer don't look exactly right. But, the angle of the pic makes it a little hard to tell.

I would say, you could easily be correct about the hull, in the pic, being one of the Uniroyal hulls.

As you say, nearly everyone was doing it.

Roy
billhay4
Pain Boater

Post by billhay4 »

I watched Blue Hole mold their own hulls at the factory in Virginia.
Bill
hooksnatcher

Post by hooksnatcher »

My Blue Hole OCA was manufactured by the original shop in Sunbright TN.