My $.2 on MT canoes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Atlas
c

My $.2 on MT canoes

Post by Atlas »

Lets just start this review from the company to the boat. Jeff and John are two of the most humble people I've met in the whitewater community. I'd say canoe community .. but I have now paddled with a grand total of four open boaters here out west. And if my assumption is correct Jeff and John have plans on changing that. They know we're a small community out here and they're really pushing to get more people on our side of the isle in whitewater. they're not just trying to provide an amazing product. They're trying to bring a culture that realistically out west never existed. And they're doing this in the doctrine approach of special forces."Hearts and minds". Which equates to.. occasionally handing you a cold beer in one of their coozies. and letting you paddle one of their amazing pieces of what I can only call a modern rendition of the heart and history of canoes. The one preconceived notion I had that was absolutely smashed while boating with Jeff and John. Was how much abuse a composite boat can actually handle. they were harder on their boat then I was on my PE boat. and at no point seemed concerned about it. In fact in boater cross John used an amazing tactic I can only describe as " the titanic" where a direct hit on Jeff's boat echoed in my ears. and it seriously sounded like a boat snapped. and the whole sideline of the race was convinced the boat was cracked. and they laughed it off and kept racing. the boat is rock solid. and is an amazing artistic way to get into the roots from whitewater canoes. I'm definitely going to add a MO to my canoe collection soon. I just need to decide on my graphic. Jeff and John. thank you for everything you do. and thank you for trying to make this movement here out west work.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Too much fun.

Post by Einar »

I got a few laps done in a MT Occoee this fall. Loved the boat, in spite of it spitting me out on a too quick cross bow. My bad, not the boats.

The Montana Canoes are a great addition to the variety of designs and materials available to canoeists these days.
Having paddled and sampled the market I would call a MT Occoee a 'sports car', fast in the curves and accelerates like stink, and remains Occoee dry. It really feedbacks to the paddler what the river is doing and... what the paddler is doing.

It's a different experience from the other designs with their forward buoyancy and weight. All the new hulls are great, each in their own way, but when I just want to have "too much fun", that's all, then I'd jump in MT Occoee.

* I own a royalex Occoee and paddled a composite custom made-for-me Viper 11 for years; just as a reference as to where I'm coming from in my comments.
I didn't get a chance to paddle the Montana Caption, another design favourite of mine, but the lines looked sweet.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
road_warrior64
C Boater

Re: My $.2 on MT canoes

Post by road_warrior64 »

They do make some beautiful boats. Great website, too. I wonder if they'll open a satellite office in Alabama any time soon?
mgs
c

Post by mgs »

My next boat will be an SS from MT Canoes, got to paddle one in September and it was great! All of the good qualities of the Caption plus that glass boat magic.
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

picked up an SS last month.
i paddle a few c-1's and have only paddled 2 oc-1's. an old HD-1 that my brother had and i own an octane 91.
i find that the SS has less primary stability than the octane, but what doesnt compared to that?
it is super fast and light. really excited to get my 2 teenage girls in it with me this summer when it warms up a bit.
great boat and great people there at MT canoes.
d
Atlas
c

Post by Atlas »

I don't think ill ever give up owning a PE boat. I love my ledge but.. I will most certainly end up getting a FH from them. just been trying to figure out what graphic I want.