Any Alaskans on Here? Or Canadians along the Route?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

woodsy
c

Any Alaskans on Here? Or Canadians along the Route?

Post by woodsy »

I am planning on driving to and exploring Alaska by car next summer. I'll be taking my OC1 and am looking for any recommendations for road accessible class II-III. Even back road accessible as I am driving a capable 4x4. Also where are good whitewater hangouts, festivals, races, etc. I am towing a small RV and am also looking for good dispersed camping spots, preferably close to rivers and outdoor activities. I realize it is a huge state and there is tons of whitewater, but road accessible must narrow the field a little? It would be great to hook up with some locals or any boaters that are heading up from the lower 48. Any guide book recommendations? Might have room for another boat if someone needs a delivery. Thank you up front for any help.
Last edited by woodsy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Re: Any Alaskans on Here?

Post by Yukon »

I am not Alaskan but Yukoner which you have to go through here to get to Alaska, some good boating here in the Yukon. I run a WW paddle school. Deppending on when you are driving by and if I am around happy to show u some of our runs. And I am always looking for rides for boats.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
woodsy
c

Post by woodsy »

Cool. We are heading North in early June and have to be home the end of August. No itinerary what so ever. We will treat every day as a new adventure. Is there camping and other other exploring we could do in the area? We may just show up and hang out for a bit if that's OK.
kona
c

Post by kona »

Cool thread.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

There is tons of camping and exploring here in the Yukon. Water is high in June so lots of good paddling. Most of the land is free range, explore and camp where you want which means lots of gems to find.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
woodsy
c

Post by woodsy »

i guess I should include the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, and Northwest Territories since I could pass through them on the way up and back.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: Any Alaskans on Here? Or Canadians along the Route?

Post by Paddle Power »

The Manitoba Whitewater Shindigg Festival weekend is 22-24 June this year.

Camping on site.

Whitewater paddling—canoe, kayak, odd SUP.

http://www.manitobawhitewaterclub.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
woodsy
c

Re: Any Alaskans on Here? Or Canadians along the Route?

Post by woodsy »

Thanks, but I'll probably in Alaska by then or close to it by then.