Paddle for a newbie

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Seabass
C Boater

Paddle for a newbie

Post by Seabass »

I'm a long time rafter and kayaker trying to get into a canoe. I have a shed full(actually considered building a fence with these) of Carlisle raft paddles. I would feel bad about grabbing these paddles off the river bank except for I never grab them from the water. In fact they are usually a couple feet up the bank so obviously the company who's name is on it doesn't care enough to clean up their carnage. I've changed my policy lately, I will return the paddle but only to the cute guide. I've handed 19 yr old cuties 20 yr old paddles saying I just found this. :lol: My daughters think this is funny. My question is will one of these paddles work for a beginner canoeist? I don't mind cutting them down. I have a few guide sticks too. I just got an old mohawk probe, I don't have a roll, and I have no technique yet. Will one of these work?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Paddle for a newbie

Post by Sir Adam »

Will they work? Absolutely! I've known plenty of folks using Carlisle "guest" paddles... some of them are excellent boaters to (Huge Munro comes to mind...of course, that heavy paddle probably helped sink is Acrobat (squirt boat))!

The question is will you enjoy using it. If you like the paddle, go with it. If you want something lighter, get a lighter stick. My shoulders appreciate a lighter paddle, and I really like the feel of a good paddle in the water. Figure out what works for you, what you like, and don't overthink it to much:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Atlas
c

Re: Paddle for a newbie

Post by Atlas »

IF you use it for a while and feel you need to get a legit "canoe" paddle I have a bandit id sell ya for cheap. nearly new. I got it to try out the difference between it and my h20. if I can tell my wife I "lost" it on a trip I can get the new paneka or ophion bent shaft I want. I'm in UT. LMK