Kayak conversions—and catching up!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

swriverstone
C Boater

Kayak conversions—and catching up!

Post by swriverstone »

Hey Everyone!

It's probably been years since I last posted here, so great to see the forum alive and well. :-)

I'm living in Eugene, Oregon now—the land of "See what? See one—is that what you said? What is that???" ;-) Due to life obligations, I've paddled almost none since moving out west (from West Virginia) and I'm missing it!

I still have my slalom C-1 (A Zealot, circa 1996) which is in decent condition—but dammit (and I knew this would happen sooner or later) it's too uncomfortable to paddle only occasionally. Sure, if I started paddling several times a week I'd stretch my ankles and knees out again...but that's not likely to happen. :-(

I also have an ancient Perception Slasher, which is a little more comfortable...though I dunno how much longer the plastic hull will hold up before spontaneously dissolving back into its original powdered form, LOL.

At best, I figure I might be able to get out on the river once a week...maybe only a few times a month (though hopefully more during the summer). So I'm starting to think about roomier options that won't kill my ankles. Oh, and did I say I'm too broke right now to afford something like a River Elf? (Beautiful boats, but I'm on a tight budget these days.) So I'm just curious to see what the "latest" (read: new/old) options are still around for kayak-to-C-1 conversions?

I'm just assuming (though might be wrong) that nobody is actually making a plastic C-1 these days—and also assuming there are only a few small shops making glass boats (the Soileau brothers, Millbrook Boats, etc.). this is why I'm pondering a plastic kayak-to-C-1 conversion.

I was prompted to post this when I noticed a local used sporting goods gear store had an old New Wave Quantum kayak for sale ($220). I like the look of the design—very long, fast, and slalom-boatish, which is what I want.

I'm also wondering about a Dagger Green Boat conversion—anyone know if that's been done? The Green Boat seems long enough that it would fit the bill for hull speed.

With respect to all the playboaters out there today, I'm still a diehard slalom boater to the core—meaning I refuse to paddle a "clorox bottle" boat that's 5 feet long and has zero hull speed. :-) I'm too old to run steep creeks these days, so all I'm looking at doing is slalom-style moves on bigger class 2-3 rivers.

Anyway, hello to Neal, Adam, and anyone else still around who remembers me! LOL

Scott (Wilkinson)
Eugene, Oregon
mgs
c

Re: Kayak conversions—and catching up!

Post by mgs »

I wonder if the green boat would be very stable as a c1, being somewhat narrow and long for speed. The Remix makes a nice c1, but might not be as snappy as a more slalom friendly design. I've seen a few Dagger Atoms around the west for reasonable prices, sometimes on Craigslist (sometimes people don't know it's a c1 and call it a "kneeling kayak" or kids kayak) - a pretty fun boat for the type of paddling you describe if you can find one nearby.

Zet sells a c1 version of one or more of their kayaks, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Welcome back Scott!
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

Funny,

I'm in Humboldt County these days, not terribly far from Eugene, and I'd been trying to find someone to take my old Dagger Cascade off my hands for years...with no success..I finally gave it to a young guy I trained to paddle OC-1...you know, just in case he wanted it...and mostly to get it out of my garage. I don't think he's super enamored of the decked boat experience, so he might be willing to sell it. Its down in the bay area and he's working in Saipan, so it might take a bit to get it...but if you're interested I'll inquire if he wants to sell it to you.

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Hi Scott. In regards to the Greenboat, I haven't paddled one myself, and have never seen one c1 converted, so take this with a grain of salt. I have a friend who has a Greenboat and I can confirm that the thing is fast! However, I'm not sure that it is the boat you're looking for. I asked my buddy how he was enjoying the boat, and he said that it was great for getting downriver in a hurry, but not much else. Looking at the hull, it looks like a round, soft-chined, displacement hull. Doesn't look like it would carve very well. The stern is also very full, The thing looks like a torpedo. It doesn't look as though you would be able to initiate the stern at eddy lines if thats the type of slalom-type moves that you are into. All-in-all, it might make a cool C1 but I wouldn't expect it to be all that agile.
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

If you want snappy handling, then the Pyrhana Burn is the boat for you. They even make an XL size, which is pretty wide. This is not based on experience, just an opinion developed from reading people's posts, and seeing the boat in person. It is pretty edgy.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

Paddling class 3 with slalom moves, how about
Dagger axiom 9.0
Attachments
IMG_3982.JPG
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Great to have you back with us:)

If I were in your shoes I'd contact Kaz at Millbrook and see what he could build you an Amoeba for... stern pivots will be out, but comfy and fast just like you like. Surfs (front and side) great too.

Otherwise keep your eye out for a Frachella Viper... being designed off the Cudamax you can easily get away with an 8 or even 10" seat which should give your knees the comfort they yearn for;)

I've been doing more OC lately, mostly as the kids are young. My hope is to start transitioning them to C2 this summer now that their swimming skills are coming along.
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Scott nice to C U getting back into the WW. I like Adam have migrated (mostly) to mostly OC1. That said - look for a creeker that is wider - Burn, etc. They will never be a slalom boat but they will be more comfortable. As for a green - pretty narrow and not real comfortable - at least the one I tried out wasn't for my old knees. Enjoy!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

i have a pyranha burn XL converted into a c1. it is comfy for a c boat. i have an old dagger cascade and a dagger redline converted to a c1. the burn is the most comfy. i am also a pretty big (fat) paddler: 6'1" 235lbs.
d
strong
C Boater

Post by strong »

I have a Greenboat C-1, I converted in the hopes that it would be fun for slalom races, plus have more speed than my other conversions a remix 79 and Karma Large. It was not a good slalom boat, at least not for me. The boat really likes going straight as fast as possible. I find that it is difficult to engage snappy turns. I am enjoying the boat for down-river cruising. It does beautiful ferries, s-turns, and makes catching eddies a lot of fun. It is suprisingly forgiving for how narrow it is, but for me around 190 it’s not stable.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I thought of the Dagger Axiom as well. If Heavy D's experience was at all like mine, the Redline was too small for big boys, but the Axiom looks to be a larger version with nice lines.

Also check your paddling clubs in Portland, Seattlle and BC, there may be some Atoms, Cascades or Finks around.

Good luck with getting back out once per week (I wish!)!

Pat.