New to me New Wave Grokshark C2

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

New to me New Wave Grokshark C2

Post by wildwaterc2 »

With help from transport from several people I recently acquired a full cut New Wave Grokshark C2 from Matt Kelso. Matt took great care of the boat and it is in great condition.

I am adjusting the outfitting some as any good C-boater does with a new hull. In doing so, I've removed the original outfitting, some of which will go back in. And from that I have a few questions for those more in the know on New Wave boats - I'm sure there are some of you out there.

1. Build card layup info - this is my 3rd New Wave and the first I could read the build card in
Deck - GPGP
Hull - GPGKK
I presume the order is outside in - so, the hull has two kevlar layers on the inside, and the deck has a polyester layer on the inside. I can see the inside of the hull at least is kevlar. There is no info about the weight of the cloth layers. I'm curious if this is a pretty typical New Wave cruising layup and if not what sort of use the layup is designed for?

2. White minicell
The walls in the boat are what appear to be a white minicell. I can see same in my Viper, so it must be what New Wave used back then. Structurally it seems very similar to the grey minicell that I am used to, though it does not seem to shape with a surform quite as easily as the grey. Does anyone know what the white foam New Wave used is?

I hope to be out in it in a week or so - it will mainly be with my 11 and 14 year old kids, which will be quite an upgrade from the Hydra Duet they are familiar with (our other kid boat is a Howler OC-2). I suspect my wife may join me in it some though she vastly prefers OC-2 to C-2.

Thanks for your input.
Roy
C Guru

Re: New to me New Wave Grokshark C2

Post by Roy »

Your reading of the lay-up description is correct: glass on the outside of the boat.

I would call it a somewhat-economy river-running lay-up. No Kevlar in the deck, and only two in the hull, gets it the "somewhat-economy."

I have only a guess as to what weight fabric they were using. My guess is 5 ounce K and P; the glass could be 6 or 10 ounce. I also don't know if they were using E- or S-glass. It should be a pretty tough boat.
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Glass/Polyester/Glass/Polyester in the deck

Glass/Polyester/Glass/Kevlar/Kevlar in the hull

The glass is either 6 oz or 10 oz, The polyester is likely 5 oz, and the kevlar is likely 5 oz (crowfoot weave - Style 285, Plain Weave Style 281)

The white Mini-cell was common. It is slightly more closed cell than the grey and slightly more flexible.
wildwaterc2
Pain Boater

Post by wildwaterc2 »

Thanks to you both for the information.

It is a very cleanly built boat.