C1 & C2 Boating

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: adamin, kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC

Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

C1 & C2 Boating

Post by Kelly-Rand » Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 am

I'm interested in hearing about C-boaters experience with a new decked boat of theirs. I've been paddling C-boats since about 2000, starting with a Gyromax and quickly graduating to an Atom and Frachella Viper, which are still used by me. I have now since 2015 a River Elf Storm Chaser that I have been learning its character, which is much different from my edgier boats, for these past 3 seasons. I've taken the SC on a variety of runs and find I like it best on creaky runs with lots of switchbacks and micro eddies. I've taken it on larger water and its been rock solid but I like the jet ferries I can achieve with the atom and viper on that bigger water. I also paddle a Vajda Magma 420 which is one of the shortest slalom C2's at 13'4" in production at the time of its manufacture in 2006. It is a hoot to paddle, one of the best attaining boats I've ever been in and it loves to surf. It's only drawback is I can only be in it for 3 hours before knee strain takes its toll.

Anyway, like to hear other's experience.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"

serpensphile
c

Re: C1 & C2 Boating

Post by serpensphile » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Well often times "bad experience" helps to impart wisdom- so here it goes.

Background: I've been an open boater, C1er, and kayaker from 12 to around 30 years old (paddled a gyromax C1 for years)--skip +25 years--I'm 53 now and getting back into it. I have a couple of open boats I LOVE. Also, I'm 5'8" and 180 lbs.

Okay here it is: I wanted a C1 to play in. I used the Kayak to C1 conversion kit to convert into a Wavesport EZ. I got it on the pool and omg I could barely paddle in a straight line. Did NOT like the boat (but I loved the conversion kit!!!). So I fitted the kit into a Wavesport X and got back into the pool. VAST improvement and it was wonderful. Tracked well and rolled like a dream-- I even perfected my back deck roll. Couldn't get totally vertical in flat water but was excited to try it on moving water.

Two week ago got it on a Class I-II river. UGH. I felt like a NOVICE. SO UNSTABLE. Needless to say we didn't bond but I learned a LOT about slicey boats and boat design. I did a postmortem on the situation.

1) I was too heavy for that boat (literature states for paddler 80 - 200 lbs; with all my gear, water, etc I was probably at 200 lbs). Because of that the edges STAYED engaged (every ripple and current pushed me through the water and I felt I have very little control) and my stern was under water a lot even in the small eddies). I also was not used to boat with planning hull and hard chines (read almost square bottom)!!!!
2) I was seated too high up- I need to lower my seat at LEAST two inches.
3) My paddle was probably too short for the C1 (for my canoe it is great).

I THINK I would do better on something less slicey and had softer chines. Again, I did NOT like that the edges stayed engaged the whole time (but that could be a weight/volume thing too). I'm used to having to "lean" to engage the edges and like that type of boat. I'm thinking I would like to try something like a Dagger Axiom or equivalent. Softer chines but it still has edges. Slicey stern but good for down river running.

With that- any wisdom that comes from MY trials and struggles would be to get a boat that fits YOU (proper size) and fits your style/needs/likes/dreams!!!

Hope this helps!

David

Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Re: C1 & C2 Boating

Post by Kelly-Rand » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Nice tale David, I hope that it continues to evolve. I was 48 when I switched from OC to C1 and my first boat was a Gyromax. It took me two years to get comfortable and have a roll, and then I was not satisfied with the G-max any more. It was fine as a down river runner but cross current moves and catching small eddies were not satisfying so I test drove an Atom and it fit the bill. I've only paddled one conversion kayak on a course in France and it didn't fit me well.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"