Esquif Zephyr XL

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: adamin, kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC

YoungOldMan

Esquif Zephyr XL

Post by YoungOldMan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:46 am

Any feedback on the XL version of the zephyr? I’ve not paddled either the original or the new big boy version but it does look interesting. I paddle a Viper 12 but it has some “issues” & I’m looking for a good III & IV river runner. I’ve grown to like the edges on the viper as it is snappy without being a hazard & think the Zephyr could be similar. I’m 6’3” & 215
All thoughts are welcome. Thanks

BAD paddle
C Boater

Re: Esquif Zephyr XL

Post by BAD paddle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm right there with ya-- both regular and xl Zephyr look really tempting, but maybe harder to find than another used Viper, not sure. 'Have to think both these Zephyrs may be a bit dryer and a bit slower than the Viper 12, so like a wider Viper 11? Could be great! In that same vein, a new glass Viper from Clipper canoes might be the ticket as well. Certainly light and fast anyway.

Having sold my Viper 12, I'm going yet another direction. Have ordered a Millbrook 20/20. Thinking dryer, much lighter, faster acceleration than the royalex Viper. Final hull speed will be lower, but probably not all that much and have to think it will snap into an eddy at least as well as the Viper. Also have to guess way easier to roll than the bulkhead/ tupperware boats. Gonna be fun finding out!