Repair T-Formex Dents

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jfkoeppe
C Boater

Repair T-Formex Dents

Post by jfkoeppe »

I searched the forums for this and didn't see anything that appeared to be on this topic. Does anyone have experience in trying to repair dents in a t-formex canoe? A friend is looking at one that has a couple of moderate size dents in the bottom (a touring canoe). Then dents are about 12" in diameter, but not deep/severe enough to have cracked whatever Esquif uses for its exterior layer on the t-formex. I would guess that it might be similar to repairing dents in a Royalex canoe - since T-formex and royalex are similar. It could be that the dents are largely cosmetic and don't affect (or affect much) how structurally sound the canoe is, or is not. Any advice is welcome.
CanoeDents.jpeg
Bengee
c

Re: Repair T-Formex Dents

Post by Bengee »

Please let us know how this happened and how are your canoe is? Normally, I would just follow Royalex repair instructions, but I am surprised to see this type of deformation!
jfkoeppe
C Boater

Post by jfkoeppe »

I am asking for a friend who has the boat. It was like this before they got it, so I don't know what created the dents. From what I read about repairing Royalex, you can heat it and press it back into shape; but several posts cautioned about over-heating it because you could melt the vinyl exterior layer of the Royalex. I think (??) that T-formex has a different outside layer, but I'm not sure about that. Several posts on fixing Royalex dents suggested that it may not be worth it and could create more problems if you do it wrong.
Bengee
c

Post by Bengee »

jf,

I do have some experience repairing Royalex but surely not as much as some here. I assume T-formex is just the same as Royalex, although earlier versions I have seen had irregularities as Esquif was still perfecting their art.

I would be confident repairing an impact dent using the heat technique you mention, very carefully of course, but for a hull deformation like what I am seeing on your picture, I really doubt its going to work well. In that situation, yes, I also believe the risk outweighs the benefits.

Is the deformation a result of snow accumulation during storage? Or the result of expanding floatation bags that pulled excessively at the lacing anchors at the bottom of the canoe in the heat of the sun on your car roof? We live and learn...

If the deformation happened "on its own", I would be tempted to contact the canoe company to check for warranty, because it could be a defect. Is it an Esquif canoe? I was not aware of an esquif model with a center keel.
Last edited by Bengee on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfkoeppe
C Boater

Post by jfkoeppe »

Since my friends boat 'came this way' - bought used - I do not know what caused the deformation in the hull. The canoe is not Esquif- it is (I think) a Mad River Explorer 16' (well 15' 11"). I think the boat is 3-4 years old.
Bengee
c

Post by Bengee »

The Explorer, that is what I thought. The more I think about it, the more I am convinved those deformations are due to overtightened glued on anchors inside the hull. Check to see if the depressions match glued-on anchors inside? If that is the case, your friend should make sure he partially deflates the floatation bags when off water and/or not apply so much pressure when strapping in barrels. If this is the cause, there is no point if trying to apply heat to reshape there.