Advice on patch job

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pshinnyc
c

Advice on patch job

Post by pshinnyc »

Hi. Hoping for some opinions. I'm looking to buy a Dagger Atom off Craigslist. The seller sent me the attached photo showing a patch job in the middle of the bottom of the hull. Seller claims it has been used in rivers subsequent to the patch with no issue. Should I be concerned enough not to go ahead with purchase?
Atom patch job.jpeg
Roy
C Guru

Re: Advice on patch job

Post by Roy »

Is that a plastic-welding job, or what? Done by something of a professional...or, Billy-Bob with a soldering iron and a milk jug?

Probably a pretty old boat...I think age makes patches more sketch. I would say, the patch, in the best case, should reduce the price of the boat noticeably.

Roy
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Carry a roll of duct tape
jfkoeppe
C Boater

Post by jfkoeppe »

This may not be helpful, but ClassFive canoes can build you a composite Atom. Maybe you're not looking to spend that type of money, but the price is reasonable - and the boat will come in around 26-27 lbs as opposed to (I think) 48 or 49 for a plastic Atom. My wife and I have composite Atoms. They're well built and we like them.