wallace wallacing

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

wallace wallacing

Post by hazardharry »

https://youtu.be/YI7AHzFO9O8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Re: wallace wallacing

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Sorry to see your misfortune Harry. I saw a lot of boaters flip in that rapid (Buzzel, it is the name of an intersecting road but somewhat appropriate). One broken paddle in the mix. A friend dislocated his shoulder and broke some fingers there two years ago.

Those that were successful hit the seam lower down or had a low brace ready. A low brace is risky though as you might lose the skin off your left hand.

Don't paddle alone if you can avoid it.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Great example of why ya'll open boaters should work on your frikin rolls!! Your lucky you got out of that one.

..a few years ago my friends and I arrived on scene to help pull a young lady out in a similar situation. Except she was under water and it took us more than 45 minutes to get to her and pull her out. It haunts me.

Stay in your boat.
Larry
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

trust me there is no way to roll in buzzles.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Why's that?
Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Glad you're OK first of all. Only you know for sure whether it was too sketchy for you too paddle that alone, but based on hindsight and video evidence, be careful out there!

Other than blind luck, how did you get (your foot/leg?) unstuck? Anything we can all learn from it?

Yeah, looked like a little shallow & manky to stay in, move under and roll, but if you like paddling that stuff by yourself and are willing to flip a few times while doing it, staying in your boat more couldn't be a bad thing.

Pat.
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

As a Kayaker who moonlights as a C-1er and OC-1er I would say that there are no rapids that you can't roll in, sure there are boiley rapids or situations where you are on your off side where it is difficult to roll, but really there aren't any rapids I've seen in 14 years of kayaking and canoeing that you simply can't roll in by nature of their geology.

If your going to be solo boating you really need to have a solid roll or if you don't at least attempt a few rolls before bailing out.

Glad you're alright.
The line will become apparent
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

never really was able to paddle after. i took an awful swim on the kennebec too the next year and just about flushed myself to death. again running alone.
Attachments
12191410_545509772266476_5233360506045673002_n.jpg
12191410_545509772266476_5233360506045673002_n.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 68153 times