Good rolling technique

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kelvin
C Guru

Good rolling technique

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Folks,

Only a small clip but it may help...

http://vimeo.com/10069157

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Kelvin,
Nice roll vid, really enjoyed your offside eddy turn vid too. More please!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yeah, please keep 'em coming Coach!

Like, where's the 2-minute video that will teach me to surf like that?!

Pat.
Riverken
C Guru

Rolling technique

Post by Riverken »

What's he doing in the last roll to get the boat to lay flat so he can initiate the roll? He's under water (of course) so I can't tell.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

looks like he is sculling the blade to get the boat to flip all the way over. the boat stalled on its side so you have to force it all the way over with your paddle.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Underwater pry/draw thingy gets the boat over on the correct side when it's stalled. Takes a while to learn, takes even longer to get instinctual when in combat.

Kelvin - First off, really nice hip snap. Wish my hip snap was that strong.

I have a question regarding ur set up... what's the purpose of turning your paddle over once you touch the water? Why don't you just start with power face down from the get go?

In Bob Foote's video, he shows the same thing...high brace to low brace... But I never understood the purpose of the high brace with these small canoes.

If you set up with your paddle along the side of your boat like you have, with powerface facing outward...you can then set it on the water, and 'skim' the top of the water, as you fan out to 90degrees (roll position)... As your paddle skims the top of the water, you can use it to pull your body in the correct position... so you're accomplishing 2 things at once.

The whole paddle out of the water setup doesn't work in WW like it does in flatwater....at least from what I have seen thus far in my young paddling career. Remember, you are not only looking for a roll that you can without a doubt rely on under very rude circumstances, but one that is fast as well.

Nonetheless....with a hip snap like that, u can probably handroll if you ever needed or wanted to.

I wanted to comment, because I that's the roll I see a lot of boaters doing, and it just seems like an extra complication, without the added benefit. Hoping you can correct me, and tell me what the slight high brace position is for.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

The other reason for fanning your blade out on the water and controling your body with it, is because heavy current will not allow you to just sit there in a tuck, and have it be that simple.

Even when fanning ur blade its tough when the canoe is turned a certain way in current.

I did go back and check out a video, where I thought I may have highbraced to lowbraced... usually its just an underwater draw, but because of the mayhem going on, and 'pull' of the water... i used a high brace to pull my body up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalfGB1S6Zc - its not often i have to use a high brace.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:I have a question regarding ur set up... what's the purpose of turning your paddle over once you touch the water? Why don't you just start with power face down from the get go?

In Bob Foote's video, he shows the same thing...high brace to low brace... But I never understood the purpose of the high brace with these small canoes.

If you set up with your paddle along the side of your boat like you have, with powerface facing outward...you can then set it on the water, and 'skim' the top of the water, as you fan out to 90degrees (roll position)... As your paddle skims the top of the water, you can use it to pull your body in the correct position... so you're accomplishing 2 things at once.

The whole paddle out of the water setup doesn't work in WW like it does in flatwater....at least from what I have seen thus far in my young paddling career. Remember, you are not only looking for a roll that you can without a doubt rely on under very rude circumstances, but one that is fast as well.
I only come up on the powerface... frankly I only know of one way to roll... and you are correct... it's highly unlikely you'll hear my blade make a "beavertail slap". Also... if I think I'm going over I tend to throw my body with the momentum of the boat as I'm about to go over and immediately tucking to set-up and protect myself. http://vimeo.com/15413675

Keep in mind... this was without any "set-up"... 2 seconds maybe? Yes... I'll go to a pool one of these days so people (including myself) can actually see what the heck I'm doing. Paul Mason analyzed my roll in front of a class I was helping him with once and he wasn't sure what I was doing but he did say it was "darn quick" :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

The way I learned to leave the paddle flat and not do the power-face down sweep, is to fall over on a low brace and let my shaft hand rotate 180 degrees. Coming up I just reverse the rotation of my shaft hand. The paddle stays flat on the surface the whole time. Once I got the motion down, to roll I just reach out to the side and put the paddle on the surface the power face up.

Using the power face down or high brace like Craig limits your ability to extend your body away from the boat. I like to have my body and paddle on the surface before bringing the boat upright.

I do need the initial sweep to bring a bigger OC1 upright, but it’s definitely not needed for C-1’s. That starting sweep will also bring over a boat that’s hung up on its side. You’ll have to do it a second time to complete the roll.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

cadster. i have no clue what u just said.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

i'm going to have to make a video of rolling because i've never seen that scull out on a high brace and then switch to a low brace roll. my set up doesn't involve that switch, and i come up on a low brace roll. video would help the confusion of me trying to explain what i do, even on an off side flip i set up sculling out a low brace. whatever works, i'm certainly not saying my way is better or anything, i just don't see it used much. hey bruce, let's go rolling.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Last edited by sbroam on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

scott,
that is exactly what i meant, kent ford style, thanks. now i can just go paddling instead of trying to demonstrate!
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Thats it scott. That roll, merried with Kelvins setup(paddle on side of boat), and fanning out on the water....makes for a very quick, and reliable combat roll.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Thats it scott. That roll, merried with Kelvins setup(paddle on side of boat), and fanning out on the water....makes for a very quick, and reliable combat roll.
"Merrying" the two rolls would be a mess. The "Kent Ford" setup has the grip in your gut, not out to the side. The "Kent Ford" sweep doesn't right the boat so isn't needed. Just remember to let your shaft hand rotate 180 and reach out to the side for the fastest roll.