Blackfly Option roll

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oskarez
c

Blackfly Option roll

Post by oskarez »

I've been having problems with rolling my Option- I seem to get stuck on my offside under the boat a lot, and can't sweep the paddle over to my onside very efficiently. I have gotten beat down a couple times because of this inability to roll quickly. The boat either doesn't tip over completely right away or I can't move fast enough to my onside to get upright. I have a solid roll in the Delta, since I can roll over completely without any of that "sticking". Any tips on how to roll more quickly or prevent the boat sticking rather than flopping over completely?
Seabass
C Boater

Re: Blackfly Option roll

Post by Seabass »

I'm a beginner so I can't talk from experience but I saw a YouTube video of a guy saying his roll has become more unreliable in the new polyethylene boats. What he showed he had to do was brace differently holding the paddle lower and out farther I think. Now don't quote me I'm not the right person at all to be telling someone how to roll. If I knew how to copy a link I'd show you the video. I'm not from the e generation.
Atlas
c

Post by Atlas »

Reaaaally focus on that Hip snap. its important in a kayak and its absolutely everything in a canoe. when I was learning to roll my buddy would have me " touch the watter" with whatever hand you have on the T handle on the opposite side of your roll. so that way your body would center the boat. out. about how far up are you getting?
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I’d look up how to roll an Ocoee because that boat is known to get hung up due to its sheer line shape.

Paddles do a under sweep with their paddle to first get the boat fully upside down.

Keep us posted.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;