another newbie

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

knu4me
c

another newbie

Post by knu4me »

Hi
Another newbie here (new to solo whitewater not to canoes). I have been reading on this site for a while and have learned a great deal from your posts. Thanks!

I am looking for a new canoe. I currently paddle a 14ft mohawk 1984 ish. set up with mohawk saddle and bags. Its fun but too heavy. looking for lighter, and smaller . I am 5-10 and 160 and live in maryland. At this point i am thinking Rival, ocoee,probe 11 and really like the look of the spark. A local outfitter has a spark that I can demo so I am going to do that soon. Joined a local club but mostly kayakers so looking here for help.
any suggestions?
Thanks
chris
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

You might find the Ocoee or Spark a bit much for a beginner. If you are willing to suffer a bit more frustration starting out you can grow into these higher performance boats. It is worth the initial steep learning curve.

Want to start with a bit tamer boat then demo a Viper 11. Ultimately you'll find the Viper more fun that the Probe series if you're talking Mohawk.

The Rival is a fine boat but it is an older design that just doesn't perform as well at the boats previously mentioned.

And if you really want to go cutting edge get a L'edge.
knu4me
c

Post by knu4me »

Thanks
I am looking to challange myself so the ocoee or spark sound good. I am going to demo a spark soon as I can . Are they similar in how they perform? I read that the Ocoee is edgy but that is part of why it is a great boat. Is the spark similar? I see that you paddle a spark how is it holding up? Sorry for all the questions i will stop now.
thanks again
chris
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

The Spark was designed as a slalom racer while (afaik) the Ocoee was conceived as a river runner/rodeo boat. Both are great river runners.

For me, the Spark accelerates better. That's the thing I like best about it. It also turns really quickly with less drama than the Ocoee. The latter turns on a dime too but requires fully engaging the edges. It's really dynamic and great fun but my old reflexes appreciate the tamer handling of the Spark. (not to say it isn't dynamic and fun too) It will be the sharper chines on the Ocoee that will take the most time to learn how to handle.

The Spark has interesting chines in that they go from soft to hard to softer again. The Spark is also quite asymmetrical which may take some getting used to.

I think the Spark might have more rocker but I may be mistaken.

Both boats work best when driven from the front. For me the Spark is easier to control with this kind of paddling.

The Ocoee is undoubtedly a better (front, back or side) surfer but is also a great slalom boat.

My Spark is holding up reasonably well as it approaches four years of heavy use. It is well scarred, much of the vinyl is worn off the bottom and the gunwales have required a lot of attention. (new, longer and a few additional screws ) Plus I've had to replace one thwart and (per Kaz) add another thwart. But it's been through a ton of class III boulder gardens, seen a fair amount of class IV and some class V action. It's been bounced down lots of bony creeks, boofed lots ledges and generally been abused. I'm hoping it will last one more season. Going to be close. For contrast I pretty much destroyed a Probe 12 in two seasons of this kind of paddling.

There is no limit on question asking.

Dave
knu4me
c

Post by knu4me »

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try to demo a spark this week. It sounds like the kind of boat i am looking for . I am glad to here it has lasted so long .I was thinking that might be a problem but sounds pretty tough.

Thanks again
chris
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

160 lbs.'s u should do good in a spark, the royalex lasts longer w/ a smaller person, as yourself. don't scratch no rocks.. u might last a boat a lil' while , most newbie run their first rolayex.. some river are harder on them than others... the noli is sweet.. ocoeee not so much
~
knu4me
c

Post by knu4me »

Took my spark out for first moving water trip a few days ago. Gunpowder gorge in maryland. Wow i have alot to learn. Short trip class 2-3 release water so it was cold. Anyway swam once, filled up once but stayed upright. Still had a good time. Found another local spot to practice in so I will be spending alot of time there. Really need to work on my boat control. I have been out twice since then practicing peel outs , cross forward strokes and stuff. I really like the light weight of the spark and how maneuverable it is. I think it will take some time but I will get the hang of it. Thanks for all your input so far. As always any advice would be appreiciated.
thanks again
chris
Jim
C Guru

Paddle

Post by Jim »

Keep doing what you are doing.

Those maneuvers take lots of practice for strong learning of the movements. While doing it you will also get a feel for the Spark's responses- with practice you will feel when it is about to initiate a turn and you will improve your anticipation and correction. Time in the boat, on easier water, provides the best learning. Enjoy it.
Jim