new OC paddlers

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

carter1
Pain Boater

new OC paddlers

Post by carter1 »

I live in Apex, NC about 15 minutes from the Haw. I've paddled the Haw, Cape Fear, Flatt, Tuck and the Nanty (4 or 5 times), haven't paddled in about 18 months and I'm looking to start again.

Anyone close by that wouldn't mind me tagging along sometime?

c
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I'm near Charlotte. You're welcome to join me on the river. What's your schedule like?
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

My dad and I live south of Atlanta, but we love the Nanty and try to get up there often. We are VERY new (less than a year) in OC1.
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

ncdavid,
my schedule is all over the place these days! I'm a home inspector, with the real estate market that way it is, I work whenever anyone calls!

Todhunter,
we'll be in the Nantahala Gorge the first weekend in June and the first part of WOR.

We just got back from Pigeon Forge, met a guy from Ohio there to trade a Zoom for an OutrageX. Now that I have something that I can paddle again, I plan on hitting the Haw whenever I have time and can find someone to join me.

c
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

Finally!
Just got back from WOR. Had lots of family stuff to do, but managed to get in a warm up on the Tuck and two runs on the Nanty. Cleaned the falls both times-felt good.

Now, if the Haw will just fill up.........

c
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Unless we get rain don't count on the Haw. Weldon is probably the closest whitewater to you when there's no rain. I paddle there a lot after work. Come on anytime. Lots of folks from the Raleigh area come up on the weekends.
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

We plan on making a trip to Weldon soon, have heard good things. Is it more of a play spot where I can work on skills and walk back to the car, or a run down the river (where I can work on skills). Trying to figure if we need to bring 2 vehicles for setting shuttle.

Got lucky with the rain and timing this weekend. We rode the wave of rainwater down the middle and lower Haw Sunday afternoon, lots of fun!

c
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Folks run the river, but the best rapid is at the take-out. Most folks come for the surf-wave. There are several features that are good for working on skills. You can easily carry back up & run it different ways to take advantage of all of the features.

They're going to spike it tomorrow (7/22) from 3 till 5pm. They'll go from 2,100cfs to 10,000 for an hour, then 20,000 for an hour. That puts the water at Weldon ~4:15. If you want to play on some big water you should be there. Bring your roll though, swims tend to put you way down-stream.
http://www.dom.com/about/stations/hydro ... leases.jsp
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

ha! WAY beyond my skill at this point.
I'll let you know when we can get up there.
c
carter1
Pain Boater

Re: new OC paddlers

Post by carter1 »

hi folks,

I'm back! Had a little mountain bike accident at Wilson Creek a couple years ago. Destroyed all connective tissue in my right shoulder, dislocation, complete AC tear, etc. I now have a ti plate, a few screws and some poor soul's hamstrings grafted in there to hold it all together. Nothing like turning 50 with a shaved armpit and your arm taped to your chest!

I paddled the Tuck and Nanty a few times this summer and the shoulder held up well. My 13 year old has learned her roll and is ready to step up this year. I'm working on the outfitting in my Outrage X so that I can learn to roll this barge. My self rescue is pretty good, but a roll would be much more convenient.

I'm planning to start going to Optimist pool when they start the weekly pool sessions. Anyone close by that can offer some advise on rolling would be appreciated!

c
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: new OC paddlers

Post by Mike W. »

YIKES! Glad you're all put back together now.

If you're going to the pool thing, check the Carolina Canoe Club to see if any OC / C-boaters will be there. The roll is the same, just slower in OC.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ccclist/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;