paddle size

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dsmoake
C Boater

paddle size

Post by dsmoake »

Thanks for all the great info here. I wanted some opinions on choosing the right size paddle. I know there are a lot of personal preferences on this topic. I am 6' and currently using a 54" paddle. It seems I could go shorter. Thanks again,
Dave
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Re: paddle size

Post by iRolled »

Dude, I'm 6' and I'm using a 58" paddle. That's in a canoe of course. I do have a 55.5" that I used once and didn't like much. I might use it again in my c-1 for racing though. I would definitely go longer though, not shorter.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Im 5'8" and use a 54" paddle, both in my c-1 and prelude, ill second IRolled and say go longer....
What are you paddling?
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

I am paddling a Maxim which I am still working hard just staying in the boat. I started with a 60" paddle but it was so awkward paddling on my off side. The shorter paddle made switching sides so much easier.
Dave
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

At 6'1" and a little, I've settled on a 59" paddle being just about right. It has a little more reach which is nice when you're grabbing those eddies you didn't quite make and the leverage rocks for boofing.

It really is all preference though. Shorter paddles can be easier to handle (especially when playing), longer ones give a little more power.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If a 54" paddle makes you feel like you could go shorter, I would wager you are not using good technique (vertical paddle shaft, and rotating the shoulders). Are you near other open boaters that can give you some feedback?

Shep
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

My technique is probably off the charts. I will try to find an open boater in AZ to help me out. I paddled an 8 mile section of class II yesterday with no swims so I am pretty happy about that. :lol:
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

In addition to what the others posted, I'm interested in hearing how balanced you feel in that boat. The Maxim is kind of a short boat so I'm wondering what the height of your saddle is. A taller saddle will make you feel tippier and rely more on bracing. Are you balanced enough in your boat or do you tend to use braces often to get through rapids? If that is the case, then consider lowering your saddle 1/2 inch at a time until you feel better control.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

My saddle is around 7 inches at the lowest point but with my foot pegs all the way back and my knees in as fall as they would go I barely sitting on the saddle. My first trip in it was uncomfortable. My feet were falling asleep and my knees were hurting. Since then, I have taken a pool noodle and cut it in half and strapped it to my saddle making it around 8 inches. It is so much more comfortable to be in. I think my biggest problem was just poor technique(new-b-itis). This is my first ww boat and I was treating it like a tandem canoe using my paddle like a rudder instead of driving the boat hard through the rapids. Making this adjustment totally changed my ability to stay upright. I did find some local boaters that I will be paddling with soon. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Dave
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Paddle length is very much a personal preference based on paddling style, boat type and paddler size. I am still trying to find my own preferences.

I am 5'8" and I am using a 57.5" paddle presently in my Stink Eye (9'6" long). I have tried shorter paddles and they felt good at first but as my technique improved they became limiting factors for me. I don't know that I have settled on a paddle length as of yet but my advice is to try as many as possible continue to work at finding that sweet spot for you.

I was advised by a prominent member of this forum to hit the local runs that are used by commercial raft company's to gather some "river salvage" raft paddles (ones without any identifying marks please). These can then be cut in 1/2" increments and tried to find that exact right size.

As a side note, Werner has a neat adjustable SUP paddle that has a rather beefy mechanism for adjusting the length. We need to start a campaign to have them adapt this to a canoe paddle so that we can try different lengths to dial in exactly what we need before we buy.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I m 6 2. I use a 56 inch paddle in my creek boat (Sfly, Ledge), a 58" in my Ocoee, and 54" in my C1. If you re doing a lot of bow strokes, a short paddle is going to be alot faster and easier to use. If you re doing a lot of stern pries, you might need a longer paddle.

Longer paddles also seem harder on the shoulders so I go as short as I can.