Not sure if this is the right spot or not...L'edge Mods.

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

beardedcanadian
C Boater

Not sure if this is the right spot or not...L'edge Mods.

Post by beardedcanadian »

I just bought a L'egde fully decked and I am considering cutting the decks back. Has anyone done that here? any suggestions or photos in progress would be great!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: Not sure if this is the right spot or not...L'edge Mods.

Post by Todhunter »

Yep, I did it. My pictures are here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 481&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's easy if you take your time. Take out the thwarts, tape out the line you want to cut and make sure you like it (I went 1" down in the center, 0.5" down on the ends). Install gunwales, put thwarts in to the length you want, and go paddle.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
beardedcanadian
C Boater

Post by beardedcanadian »

Thanks! Looks like it was a lot of work! Did you notice any loss of stiffness or response when it was completed?
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

It took about 14 hours, but it was also my first time.

I ended up cutting foam off the top of the saddle so there wasn't so much pressure on the thwarts, but my saddle ended up really loose after paddling it a few months. I went back in and added foam and a dowel (both front and rear), and screwed the thwarts down into the dowels.

I pulled in my thwarts a little, and I lost some initial stability, but gained a little speed and much responsiveness.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

cut mine one inch in at the thwart holes, very little loss of stability. improves the boat drastically. Left enough deckplate to support handles. two thwarts is enough support for me. even took the pump back out.
Attachments
boof.jpg
Proud Yankee
bdb
c

Post by bdb »

What do you mean - cut mine 1" in at the thwart holes? Didi you narrow the boat 1" at the twarts, and if so what was the drastic improvement? Tracking?