Any Option or Octane owners in the Bryson-Sylva area?

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SethO
c

Any Option or Octane owners in the Bryson-Sylva area?

Post by SethO »

Hello,

Looking to try out a Blackfly on the Nantahala, Little T, or Tuck. I think the Octane would fit my build best, but if anyone out there has either of those boats, and are willing to let a stranger try them out for an afternoon I'd be eternally grateful. I've been paddling a Dagger Legend for some time, but I need a solo boat for the times no one can get out with me.
SethO
c

Re: Any Option or Octane owners in the Bryson-Sylva area?

Post by SethO »

I'm sure some collateral could be discussed since y'all more than likely don't know me. :D
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Seth, I could bring my OCtane to the Tuck with my L'Edge and you could try it. I don't loan it out, but will meet you there.
SethO
c

Post by SethO »

Thanks Wendy. I live in Cwhee, so I'm close to the tuck. What days are good for you? I'm free this Tuesday (19th) if that isn't too last minute. (there isn't any scheduled release as of now for Tuesday, which might make the Tuck hard to manage.) I work in Old Fort as a field instructor at a Wilderness Therapy provider, so I go into work on Wednesday and am in the field for 8 days straight before having my 6 days off.

I wouldn't mind getting in the L'Edge for a couple of minutes either If you'll allow it :wink: . Those are the two boats I'm trying to decide between. The only other OC I have been in is the Nitro, on section 3 of the Chattooga, and that was before I had much Canoe experience. In short I didn't have a good time at all. Since then I have done many miles in my Legend on the 3 local rivers and have become quite comfortable in it. I have been practicing running it with lots of water inside to strengthen my balance. I hope this makes my transition to heavily rockered small boats smoother.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Ben Trister lives right by the Nantahala and has both an Option and an Octane.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Seth, I have to work this Tues. When you get back off the 8 days we can get together at the Tuck or Nanty. I am off the 29th-July3rd.
SethO
c

Post by SethO »

Sounds good Wendy. I'll be in the woods till wed, so I'll try to respond as soon as I get to a computer wed night. Nanty is better for me, since I'm on that river much more often. Thanks again for your generosity.

On another note, I got back in a Nitro Monday for the first time since November. Put in at Ferebee in the afternoon. The first mile or so was really uneasy, but after a successful drilling of quarry I regained some confidence. I had a great rest of the afternoon, with a clean A-line at the falls. I still don't like the double chine on that boat, but I didn't freak out like last time I was in it. I'm still so used to a downriver tandem that has a small amount of tracking capability that the squirelliness of a solo boat still has me a bit uncomfortable.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Seth, based on how you feel in the Nitro you may want to bring your boat and we can trade back and forth in case you don't like the OCtane.
SethO
c

Post by SethO »

My boat is cracked at the moment, so I have no means of getting downriver. Lately, I have been using NOC's demo Nitro when I've been going down the river. I'm think I'll be able to handle the nanty even if I'm a bit uncomfortable being in the boat for the first time. Can you get two of your boats down to the river on your car?
SethO
c

Post by SethO »

Is tomorrow, Friday, doable for you Wendy? I'll pm you with my contact info.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Dude, did you ever hook up with wendy to demo some boats. I may be on the Nantahala on saturday the 21st, for a race. I'll have and Option with me, and a tandem octane as well. Look me up if youre around or interested.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I let him demo the Octane and he ordered one within a week. :D