13 year old paddler looking for boat. Relatively new to OC1

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bdb
c

13 year old paddler looking for boat. Relatively new to OC1

Post by bdb »

My son has been kayaking for quite some time and tandem boating in a Vertige outfitted tandem. I am looking for idas for a WW solo boat he can grow into. He is paddling easier water and is 5'1 and 100lbs ... but growing like a weed. I was thinking of something narrower that he could manage..... Any ideas?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: 13 year old paddler looking for boat. Relatively new to

Post by Shep »

The Bell Prodigy is pretty light, relatively narrow, but very friendly for beginners and intermediates. I know an adult woman about your sons size who loves hers. My sister, who is taller and heavier, also loves hers, as she only gets out occasionally and mostly paddles II+ to III-. If you hunt, I bet you can find a used one or new-old-stock for a very reasonable amount of money. You might also consider one of Kaz's designs that is less edgy. (My Ignitor is a handful, but maybe less-so for someone 100 lb. Not sure.)

Hope this helps,
Shep
bdb
c

Post by bdb »

This guy is more interested in playboating .. I was thinking of something shorter. I like the Prodigy though. It would be a very good choice for river running.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Think lightweight,

try http://www.compositecreations.ca/Splash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Splash is a light small whitewater canoe.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

It the goal is park and play, the shortest distance between two points would probably be to do a K1-C1 conversion. Otherwise, all of those boats have the ability to do some serious eddy hopping and surfing.

Shep