what is the best Boat for a 4'8" , 100# beginner ?

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gigglescboat
c

what is the best Boat for a 4'8" , 100# beginner ?

Post by gigglescboat »

I have been kayaking for past 10 years, but want to begin canoeing.
I have already converted my EVO to a C1 and like it, but want a canoe.

What is the best choice for my height and weight?

I am looking at the L edge.

Are there any " kids canoes" out there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sejal
Last edited by gigglescboat on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: what is the best Boat for a 4'8" , 100# beginner ?

Post by Mike W. »

You may want to try a Splash. It's a composite canoe for kids.

http://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?alpha=S ... ame=Splash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.compositecreations.ca/Splash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Adam is the only one I know of who has one of these boats. He's up in New York, but comes down to the Armada every year.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

The L edge is a great boat, but it is heavy and relative to your weight, a lot boat to move.
I'd look for a lighter option. Look for non plastic.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hey, Giggles! Welcome to a better step toward "seeing the light". :wink: Are you looking at open boats, decked boats, or just trying whatever you can get your hands on? For open boats, see who has access to a Stinkeye or Option. Prelude would be an outside choice as it is more for advanced canoeists. L'edges are good boats but they definitely weigh a lot (50+ lb.). You are welcome to try my Atom though the outfitting will be too loose for you. I hope to see you on the river soon, at least by New Year's for the chilly chili paddle.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Composite Creation Splash might be ok, But I think that a BullDog would be better! An Esquif Zephyr is light, and a lot of women like it! An other boat to consider, would be the Shacho from Kaz(Millbrook boat), can't be a bad choice!! I think that anything light, in the 40lbs would be great. Maybe even an Esquif Spark would work, I know that Paul Mason's daughter started to paddle one this year, and before that she was paddling a Zephyr.

Good luck
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I don't know where you are but Clipper/Western Canoeing in BC makes glass (Kevlar/Duraflex) canoes. Their canoes are popular in western Canada.

I have one of their Vipers. It is light and ease to move around compared to heavier ABS/royalex and plastic canoes.

They make the probe and vipers.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/category.php?cat_id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Hellman Canoe makes the Otter, it is super light, really tough... Not the fastest boat out there, but not a pig. If you get it with wood gunnels, it is quite a good boat!
http://www.hellmancanoes.com/hellman-canoes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

The L'edge will probably be a lot of boat for you. Depending what kind of paddling you want to get into, I have heard of smaller people having some luck with the Taureau. Other than that, all the other suggestions are good!
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

Take a look at the Millbrook Boats web site. His boats are light and some are fairly narrow. And they are great boats, too.
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

I'll have a nice Prodigy with me at ALF. It may be for sale if I can work something out on a boat I'm interested in.
c
gigglescboat
c

Post by gigglescboat »

Thank you all for you suggestions.
I now have 2 canoes.
a Taureau and a Blue hole Sequel.
I have been paddling the Taureau but find that I needed more speed
so I am going to give the Sequel a try.

On a side does anyone have a good idea on how to build a deck plate?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

On which boat and how rigid do you want the deckplate to be? Typical examples are: fiberglass (lightest construction); plastic sheet (various thicknesses to choose from and pretty easy to mount); and wood (arguably the strongest and usually requires artisanship for a quality finish, but does look really good). Contact Greg Velzy--he has gunwaled and deck plated his Sequel.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
gigglescboat
c

Post by gigglescboat »

Thanks Neal I will ask Greg
it is for the sequel it is missing the stern deck plate
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I like to hot-glue a section of ~1" diameter hose to the bottom edge of a plate of glass. Apply release agent. Brush on epoxy, then sprinkle glitter. Lay up Kevlar on the glass, wrapping it around the hose so that edge is like a cockpit rim. Once it cures, peel it off & cut to size so the curl is on top, open to the end of the boat. Cut to size & screw it to the gunnels. When the water washes over the deck it'll hit the curl & run off the sides. I've thought of doing a series of 3 so more water will get channeled off the sides.

I think ACA & USCA limit you to 36" long decks & attachments are limited to 1" high. Something to consider if you think you'll ever race. I'll try to find photos of mine.