new boat

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bones
c

new boat

Post by bones »

Boat advice needed. I own a dagger genesis about 13'. Looking to upgrade and like the L'Edge and the Prelude. Also looked at the Option and OC1 from blackfly. Pros/cons or any other boat suggestions please. I paddle midwest rivers in Wisconsin, upper Michigan and looking forward to my first ALF festival. Like forward and side surfing along with creek running and medium size drops. Also like sticking a tight eddy.
Gadget
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: new boat

Post by Sir Adam »

Weight and height? Those make a big difference... as much as the type of water you paddle.

Your best bet is to go to ALF, west fest, or hook up with a bunch of local paddlers and try as many boats as you can.
Keep the C!
Adam
bones
c

Post by bones »

weight 165.. mid west rivers from northern Wisconsin, Upper Michigan to the Yough.
Gadget
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Where are you located? U.P....Wisc,lower MI?
You should be able to test drive a L'Edge at Bear Paw.
If you make ALF you'd get to try everything :D
IF you don't there's a a few of us MI/Wisc paddlers I'm sure would let you try out their boats too!
Mikey
bones
c

Post by bones »

Thanks for the ideas. I live in Chicago so yes Bear Paw would work. I will buzz Jamie and see if she has one left. If not I will be at ALF so I can try a few models out. Where do you live? Maybe see you on the wolf or Pestigo this spring?

Andy
Gadget
bones
c

Post by bones »

I hear the Presque Isle really rocks in the UP. What is your favorite in the UP that is not as difficult as the Presque?
Gadget
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I live in the western lower peninsula of MI (Muskegon/Grand Haven area)...too far from nice WW :(
I haven't done a lot of the UP rivers as they are usually too low when I've been up there...especially the last few years it seems.
The Presque Isle is pretty gnarly!
The two runs in the UP I'd really like to do are the Montreal (gorgeous canyon run) and the Menominee Piers Gorge (one of these years). There are a few gems up there if you hit it right. Craig Smerda would be the guy to ask :D
I do really like the normal Wisc. stuff...Wolf, Peshtigo, Pike, Jump, Red, etc. though. Used to always do a spring trip and fall trip to hook up with friends and paddle, but the last couple years the rivers have been so low we haven't done our regular trips...and the times I've made it over it rained right after I left...such is the luck :-?
I like the PA rivers a lot...and is actually a bit closer but am hoping to head to Wisconsin again this year! Will let you know if/when I do.
Mikey
bones
c

Post by bones »

Let me know. I love the Red and Pike alot. Will try and make a few trips water depending
Gadget