foam shopping advice please

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zdog77

foam shopping advice please

Post by zdog77 »

Ive got a LL remix I want to outfit c1, it'll be my first c1 attempt. Can anyone chime in and give me an idea what size and how much foam I should buy. Would 12x48x3" foam blocks be enough for the saddle and the knees? Im thinking a narrowish saddle (chime in if you think this is a bad idea). Not sure what to do about the knees. Also, Are thigh straps bought, or made from bulk webbing and fasteners?

Lastly, maybe a dumb question, Can one use a k1 skirt, or would it ride too low?

Thanks.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: foam shopping advice please

Post by KNeal »

Hi, zdog. Scroll your cursor to the top-left "CBoats" icon and click on the "outfitting" link. You'll find lots of helpful information and tips from cboaters who have become quite adept at outfitting their boats. As far as minicell is concerned, I plunk down the money to get a bun or half-bun from the local canoe/kyack shop because I will always need more minicell later so its good to get more than you need now. If you are not sure where to get minicell, check out sweets composites. The owner is very knowledgeable and has what you need:

sweets composites-minicell

I make my thigh straps by purchasing 2" webbing (tubular?) through any outdoor shop (think, climbing gear) and get fastek buckles and ladder locks (slides). Kyack skirts usually get ordered new or modified with the tunnel being moved forward. Cboaters are usually 4 inches forward of the back cockpit rim which will stretch a kyack skirt putting the boater at risk for the skirt to pop up off the back rim (that oughta generate comments from non-skirt wearing cboaters :wink: ).

Welcome to the bright side and welcome to our site.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

http://www.foamforyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - they have minicell (brand name I think) and microcell (same stuff, not brand name). The microcell is 4.5" thick and has a smooth skin on it from the molding process. It works and forms the same as minicell. Best pricing I could find. I got the 30"x 32" piece. Without a band saw, it was a giant chunk of foam to work with. Disclaimer - I've only glued down the roughed up side of the foam pieces I've shaped - haven't glued the skin side down yet, but I think it will stick very well (maybe too well).
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Shop at Sweet Composites! :wink:
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

I used two blocks from sweets the 2'x2'.... 3'' thick. that made my saddle and shallow bulkhead in my riot disco.

I use an airline seatbelt to keep me in so my bulkhead is really just to keep my knees from floating around.

K1 skirt has worked fine for me but my outfitting stays mostly below the rim anyhow.

good luck :wink:
zdog77

Post by zdog77 »

Thats what I wanted to know, thanks. If you dont have a seat belt/thigh straps, how else do you keep yourself in? Bulk head just real tight?
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'm not much of a C1 guy but most C1s are set up as either all thigh straps (often double thigh straps) or a smallish bulkhead and a single set of thigh straps. Open canoes have the space to use just a larger bulkhead that is carved to fit snug but depending on the cockpit size most C1s are not spacious enough for bulkhead only outfitting. Also, OCs tend to use foot-pegs to help stay in where they are much less common in C1s.

Lots of outfitting threads and photos on this site to get ideas for your outfitting.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.