Helmets

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MaureenL

Helmets

Post by MaureenL »

Looking for a helmet, want a visor for the sun and ventilation is important as I hate to be too hot. Suggestions?
thanks,
Maureen
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: Helmets

Post by Shep »

Ventilation depends much on what you are paddling, and how often you swim and/or roll! :) No company will offer a helmet with the level of ventilation you see in bike helmets, but most companies have offerings with at least a moderate amount of ventilation. I would encourage you to look for a helmet with some fit adjustment, so you can wear it with nothing on your head, a wet bandana on hot days, or a liner cap on cold days.

As for sun visors, there are two routes you can go. WRSI's and many other company's helmets have varying degrees of integrated visor: http://www.wrsisafety.com/helmets.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy that I teach WFA/WFR with is a class IV/V boater, and he fells very strongly that anything sticking out from your face is an entrapment hazard, particularly when creeking (Not sure I fully agree. YMMV). He uses a large, soft sun visor that velcros to the front of his helmet. He used this on the grand canyon, and it definitely worked for sun protection.

Hope this helps,
Shep
MaureenL

Post by MaureenL »

thanks for the information.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Check out the Sweet Protection helmets as well - The Rocker is quite popular.
Keep the C!
Adam