OC-1 for bigger driver

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

openboat
c

OC-1 for bigger driver

Post by openboat »

I have been paddling my Mad River Legend 15 solo for a while now. I bought it thinking it would suit all my needs. It is a great boat, don't get me wrong, however I would like to get a true whitewater OC-1. At 6'1 250+ i know i need a bigger boat, however I am paddling mostly steep creeks in North Alabama so maneuverability is a must. I want a boat I can grow into in terms of ability. I am fairly comfortable on Class III water. I have paddled the Nantahala several times with little to no trouble, but I would like a boat that I could work my way up to Class IV+, Little River Canyon, Ocoee, etc. I have been told Mohawk Probe 12 would be good. I have considered a Dagger Impulse. The only true whitewater boat I have paddled is a Bluehole Sequel and that was a disaster. I think i'm just too big for it, but i also may just suck, i dont know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: OC-1 for bigger driver

Post by sbroam »

A Probe 12 would be fine - I know some will poo poo it, but it's a fine boat and is forgiving enough that you can concentrate on forward strokes and maneuverable enough to run what you want to (sounds like someone describing a L'Edge...). Plenty big. An Ovation would be similar.

I am not a fan of the Impulse - ugh.

Don't rule out the Vipers (12 for sure, 11 for maybe) or Ocoee - a little more challenging, but rewarding. I know a guy who tips the scales further than you that does just fine in an Ocoee.
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

BLACKFLY 0CTANE 91!!!-M-
carter1
Pain Boater

Post by carter1 »

I'm 6'3", 235. I got a L'Edge this summer. Easiest boat to paddle I've had. Nantahala has become easy in this boat. Sounds like we're about the level paddler.
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

I'll second both the Ocoee and The Octane 91. I paddle an Octane. I've gone from 283 pounds to 225, and it works at both weights. The boat seems pretty fast for a sub-9 foot boat, but it's really all about edges, rocker and primary stability.
I think my next boat may be an Ocoee or a Spark. I like the way an Ocoee handles, but I'm not sure if I want the extra length.
Huckabuck

Post by Huckabuck »

Sounds like we are in the same boat, I'm 6'2" 275#. I was recommended a Esquif Blast. Thoughts?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I know an old-school boater that isn't a big guy (probably 180 or less), but he loves his blast set up solo. Not my cup of tea, but if you prefer 13' boats, it is probably a good one to try.