Is my paddle too long?

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

VTBoater
Pain Boater

Is my paddle too long?

Post by VTBoater »

I think (hope) I attached a pic here of me in an Ion. I'm 5'8" and have a 56" paddle.

I'm new-ish to canoes, so I know I have some bad habits, including coming too far back toward the stern on my offside-forward stroke. I also tend to keep my right (power) hand too high up on the shaft in general. Working hard on both of those.

As I work on better form, I wonder if you all would mind looking at this pic and letting me know if you can tell anything about my paddle length. I'm worried that maybe it's too long? It seems as though paddle length is fairly subjective and dependent upon boat depth/width. In the interest of being thorough and avoiding shoulder strain, what can you all tell from this pic ?

Thank you so much for any feedback: I'm trying hard not to develop bad habits.

Thank you to the CBoats moderators and contributors for all of your help and insight! This site is a tremendous resource for those of us new to c-boating.
Attachments
Ion on Brodhead.jpg
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Is my paddle too long?

Post by KNeal »

For your height, the paddle length will help with power and leverage (reach for balance), but the downside to the length is crossing the bow. A shorter length of 54 inches down to 52 inches decreases leverage and power, but you'll get a faster paddling rate and it is easier to cross over the bow. Borrow paddles around that size and see what feels best for you.

Have fun with your search.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

Thanks--I hadn't thought about it in terms of that trade-off.
Jeffrey Ward
C Boater

Post by Jeffrey Ward »

I like my t-grip hand to be about the level of my forehead when the paddle blade is fully submerged during the stroke. I find this is a length that gives me good leverage, but is not too long.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

You should probably have two paddles. One that is as long as JWard described for length and one a couple inches shorter for those shallow runs where your paddle is constantly banging the rocky bottom. My good paddle is the longer one, it has a wood shaft and blade with carbon face in the blade, it is stiffer and provides more purchase on the water. My shorter paddle has a carbon shaft and a rubber blade, it absorbs a lot of impact and protects my shoulders.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Let's see... try keeping your upper arm straighter, and getting more of the paddle in the water. If it goes too deep then yes, a shorter stick may make sense.

A GENERAL guideline for paddle length is that when you sitting in your boat the distance from the top of your shoulder to the water should be the approximate SHAFT length -overall length will depend on how long the blade is. Torso length is more important than overall height, but most of us (myself included) have no ideal how long our torso is!

I've used a 54" paddle for years (same height as you are) in my C1's and was recommended by a few folks (including Davey Hearn) to use at least a 56" instead. I've slowly gravitated in that direction, but admit to still being more comfortable with a 54" stick. That said, when I"m paddling an open boat (with a higher saddle) I only use a 56" or longer stick as I find it is to short otherwise... but I have short legs (30" or so inseam) and a medium torso.

If you are ever down in the Lake George / Saratoga Springs area of upstate NY and what to try out different paddles or boats just PM me.
Keep the C!
Adam
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Personally, I find top of shoulder way too short. I like my T grip around forehead height. I have monkey arms though....