Help me choose a boat

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Huckabuck

Help me choose a boat

Post by Huckabuck »

The basics. 6'1" 275# I have a 16' Mad River Explorer that I useon flatwater now so i am keeping it. I have put bags in it and ran the Pigeon in Tenn, Sect 9 of the French Broad, parts of the New, Tuckasegee and spent a few weekends at the US Whitewater Center here in Charlotte.

I am a the limit with this boat, its hard to turn let alone boof. So I am looking for a new boat. It is going to be a few years before my daughter is really ready to tandem with me so I think I want a solo boat.

Do i want a:
Probe 13
Blast
Outrage X
Other?

I am leaning towards the Mohawk Probe 13 only because I thought the 14 with the triple setup would leave to much open space.
Huckabuck

Re: Help me choose a boat

Post by Huckabuck »

Btw I currently use a kayak paddle most of the time because I have gotten used to it on long trips. What benefit would I see from switching to a Canoe paddle.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Single biggest advantage? Not getting harrassed by other open boaters. 8)

I haven't ever paddled with a kayak paddle in an OC, but there is a guy around here that does exclusively. I would guess that you probably get more power per stroke out of a Canoe paddle, because I assume you are using a long touring kayak style paddle with a small blade in order to have enough reach. The downside is that you need that power because you can't get as high a cadence with a C-paddle as a K-paddle. That's my argument for why kayakers, all things being equal, can move faster than canoeists.

If the kayak paddle works for you, keep using it. Try a canoe paddle a little bit to make sure. Me, I love the things I have to do to use a canoe paddle, just like I love that a telemark turn on skis demands more of you than an alpine turn, but it's not more efficient or easier.

Shep
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

The Probe is a great intro solo canoe.

As for the kayak vs canoe paddle, part of the thrill of canoeing is in the skill of using the canoe paddle.

With a more vertical canoe paddle stroke, you can also use the water closer to the canoe so smaller or narrow eddies etc work well.

Plus, a canoe paddle fits in the front side of my car.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I would think that a WW canoe paddle is much more efficient than a kayak paddle.
Especially when doing the strokes we do in a canoe...ie. skull,draw, pry, forward, etc.
dance for rain
Huckabuck

Post by Huckabuck »

I guess you guys are gonna really flip when I tell you I use a moded SUP paddle about 25% of the time.

I am headed out this weekend so I will give the single blade some more practice. Not that it matters but the kayak paddle is the same size as most canoe paddles. Its a Aqua-Bound High Angle 210cm. But I do see what you mean with the tight quaters aspect.

Now just to find the right boat.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Forgot to mention the T-grip for controlling blade angle.
Can't really do that in strong current with a 2-headed paddle.
SUP paddle :D Well, has long as you're having fun.

I think a Probe 12 would make you a fine boat at 12'8" and be much more fun.
dance for rain