boat advise for semi-newbi?

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bamaboot
c

boat advise for semi-newbi?

Post by bamaboot »

Any sage advice I am 52, 5'10, 168 pounds and with some aging knees, been paddeling a monster Probe 14 Tandem- Building muscles I suppose, want a small, quick and especially light boat 12' or shorter and under 70 lbs. Class 1 to 4. Live in north Alabama can drive to Mohawk to try theirs.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: boat advise for semi-newbi?

Post by Paddle Power »

how about a probe 12?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

At your height and weight (which I'm really close to), I'd suggest a Mohawk Viper 11 or Probe 11. There's also the Mad River Outrage. If you want an edgy canoe you can grow into, the Nova Craft Ocoee would be a good buy. Or an Esquif Detonator. Or go even smaller and tougher with a PE canoe--Blackfly Option or the Esquif Light L'edge. The usual advice applies--try before you buy and try for longer than 15 minutes. It takes a while to get the feel of a boat.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Blink, sacho
Proud Yankee
bamaboot
c

Post by bamaboot »

Since Mohawk is Out of action for a little while any more suggestions
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

Really cant go wrong with a L'edge or Option. PE is stronger, slides off of rocks better and is WAY easier to fix.

You will hear a lot of different opinions, but you really you can't go wrong with either. If your nervous dropping the cash on one, buy a used one. You can probably re-sell it for what you paid for it if you don't like it.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;