New to WW Canoe world... questions

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

peaches2428

New to WW Canoe world... questions

Post by peaches2428 »

New to whitewater canoeing... never even been in one. I was a raft guide on the Ocoee and love whitewater and want a way to experience it solo. After kayaking a few times I decided I want to try an OC or a C1. Im not crazy about kayaking because of the sitting position and even paddling duckies I prefer to be on my knees as I have a lot more power and control there. Now I have a lot of questions... any info is good info.

Is it better to start in an open boat and work up to a converted C1?

Blackfly as first boat? Option vs Octane?

I have a friend with a Wave Sport Stubby - would converting it to a C1 be a good idea?

Ideally, I want to snag this Stubby, convert it, get some roll practice in this winter and be ready for spring season.

Again, any info is helpful.

Happy Paddling! :D
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Re: New to WW Canoe world... questions

Post by kaz »

Get whatever you deem is affordable. It will be a great boat to start out with. Learning never stops.
JKaz......
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

peaches2428 wrote:
Is it better to start in an open boat and work up to a converted C1? I would say yes unless you are already comfortable in a kayak.

Blackfly as first boat? Option vs Octane? Yes Blackfly makes the best boats. Try both and see which one strikes your fancy.

I have a friend with a Wave Sport Stubby - would converting it to a C1 be a good idea? Absolutely!

Ideally, I want to snag this Stubby, convert it, get some roll practice in this winter and be ready for spring season.
Welcome to the wonderful world of canoeing. You have the right idea about power strokes and kneeling in a canoe vs. sitting in a buttboat. Best of luck to you.
surfenstein
c

Post by surfenstein »

add your location to your profile. maybe a neighbor will loan you some equip or suggest a local outfitter.

edit; Visit the next meeting of the nearest WhiteWater club. Lots of boaters enjoy introducing new people to the sport.
used-up/broke-down/burnt-out/all-in
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Welcome

Maybe there was a time when there was a common progression for canoeists, some of us may have even experienced it, but currently I think there are many ways to make that progression.

You asked good questions.

Is it better to start in an open boat and work up to a converted C1?
NO

Blackfly as first boat? Option vs Octane?
ALL THREE COULD WORK AS A FIRST BOAT.

I have a friend with a Wave Sport Stubby - would converting it to a C1 be a good idea?
MIGHT BE ESPECIALLY BASED ON YOUR NEXT STATEMENT

Exciting times are upon you
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;